Research Team Lost Mesh Bags Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Probably a bit of a long shot, but figured I’d put something out there since a lot of people will be on the reef these next two days. Was out today (7/25) on Big Pine Shoal on the eastward side of the marker post doing some collections for research. We lost two d-ring bags off the boat while driving.

The first bag is blue with shiny metal and a black side clip. It is made of a softer mesh.

The second bag is a slightly lighter shade of blue and much larger with a coarser mesh. The metal is rusted and handles are held together with a bolt snap that has an orange zip tie.

I will see what pictures I can find and update this post. Both bags may be found containing a single berried female P. argus (Caribbean spiny lobster) unless they manage to chew their way out. Our project is studying the affect of a nemertean egg predator on female reproductive output and we do have permits for females with eggs.

I’m hoping they are found so at the very least the females can be freed. The average diver would not be allowed to bring these study animals into shore, as you would not be on our permit. Also, I’m a bit sentimental about bag #2, as it has seen many dives.

Bag #1
D35B999A-E26B-4C9B-BEB0-C3B058DC47E0.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom