Right place, right time ...

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography' started by NWGratefulDiver, Dec 14, 2007.

1. NWGratefulDiver

NWGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    There are times when you happen to catch a subject that not only shows a subject, but tells a "story" ... a moment in time that you were fortunate enough to be there to capture.

Last night I chanced on one of those ... an octopus that was in the process of capturing its supper ...

[​IMG]

Let's see your favorite "story" shots ... pictures that captured a particular moment when you just happened to be in the right place at the right time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2. Rick Inman

Rick Inman Advisor ScubaBoard Supporter

Un huh... Did you give him any help catching his supper? :eyebrow:

Just kidding. Wonderful shot, Bob!

3. Coll

Coll Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Wow, thats an amazing picture! I've just begun underwater photography so unless you want to see the story of a little boy named backscatter, I got nothin! Phenomenal picture though.

4. caymaniac

caymaniac Surface Interval Member

# of Dives:
    I can empathise with that octo, I too sometimes have a great desire for something crunchy ;>)

5. Cacia

Cacia Divemaster

[​IMG]

it is a Tiger hitting a hooked Marlin,

not the best shot, the video is better, lots of fin tips, felt like the wrong place.

6. dbh

dbh Manta Ray

Great capture Bob!

On a night dive on Buddy's Reff (Bonaire) I was shooting this pregnant Arrow Crab when it started releasing it's eggs (I believe I may have posted this last year).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave

7. Teamcasa

Teamcasa Sr. Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've posted this before but it fits in the right place, right time theme so well.
    Last summer in Kona, the moray went around my lovely brides neck!
    See the short youtube clip.

[​IMG]

8. NWGratefulDiver

# of Dives:
    No help from me, Rick ... that octo captured its own Happy Meal ... :D

Ooooh ... now THAT must've been a pucker moment ... :11:

I can relate ... I was diving with my wife once (back when we were married) and she swam a little too close to a ling cod egg mass. Papa Ling latched onto her leg and started shaking it like a dog. I had to whap that fish upside the head a few times with my dive light ... all the while shouting into my reg, "GET OFF, THAT'S MINE!"

We've since learned to recognize ling cod eggs and keep a respectful distance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

9. f3nikon

f3nikon Manta Ray

Good find...you can always make things happen as well. Just find a crab and feed it to the octopus then start snapping away. Nature photographers do this all the time.

10. Jim Ernst

Jim Ernst Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    Bob. Great shot...... Awesome!!!

11. zen_man

zen_man Manta Ray

Awesome shot Bob!

Probably the closest picture I have like this would be some that I took of the WTC on 08/11/01. There are a couple of them that are beautiful. They're in film and I do not have a scanner, so unfortunately, I cannot post them.
    It seems like the moments that happen for me are at times I don't have a camera. :( I just need to carry a camera around a lot more often! :D

12. Larry C

Larry C Dive Con

# of Dives:
    Great shot, Bob. All those other ones too, guys. I've taken many shots of male Lingcods guarding their nests. I've had them charge me, but never bite. Have to plead guilty to the Urchin eating Garibaldi trick, too. Saw a huge swarm of Garibaldis and Senoritas in the Kelp at Catalina. Swam over to shoot pics and saw they were eating a broken Sea Urchin. Looked up and saw three spear guns pointed at my head! (They were hiding in the kelp). I guess hunters can be a little unethical too. By the way, if you want to get shrimp out of their holes for a picture, take a ziplock full of bait squid and they'll be all over you. Not my squid, but it worked great. Never seen so many shrimp out in the open.

13. NWGratefulDiver

# of Dives:
    Can we get back on topic now? If you guys want to argue ethics, please do it in a different thread.

Anybody else got a "timely" shot they're particularly pleased with and would like to share?

Catherine, what happened to your picture? All I see now is a little red X ... and it was a pretty cool shot ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

14. Jim Ernst

# of Dives:
    I am sorry Bob!!

This was my fault.

15. stu_in_fl

stu_in_fl Divemaster

# of Dives:
    here's one I posted a couple of months back.....i had just swum over my 400th scorpionfish of the week (yawn) but just happened to look back to see this...

[​IMG]

16. NWGratefulDiver

# of Dives:
    Great shot ... it always amazes me that a cleaner shrimp would crawl inside some big fish's mouth like that.

This one was purely luck ...

I was drift-diving the Tzoonie Narrows, in Sechelt Inlet, British Columbia. As I was drifting along, I saw this moon jelly I wanted to get a picture of. We were drifting along pretty much side-by-side in the current, and as luck would have it, just as I hit the shutter ... panning to keep it in the frame for that interminable shutter lag ... the jelly drifted in front of a plumose anemone. To my complete surprise, both subjects came out in focus ...

[​IMG]

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

17. zen_man

zen_man Manta Ray

Breathtaking Bob!

I just showed my wife and she says you should have this blown up and framed. I agree with her!

18. Jim Ernst

# of Dives:
    I really could not decide if this was a Right-Place-Right-time shot or not it was a suprise shot??

[​IMG]

19. NWGratefulDiver

# of Dives:
    Thanks ... as a matter of fact, it's hanging next to my fireplace ... ;)

That shot also made the cover of a local magazine (Northwest Dive News) a couple months ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

20. NWGratefulDiver

# of Dives:
    Seein's how that sea lion appears to be snapping at your bubbles, it gives a whole new meaning to the term "breathtaking" ... great shot!

I suspect she'd be moving a little too fast for my little point-n-shoot to handle ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)