Roatan now covered in Hi Res on Google Earth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueDivers:
I think we should start a, Save Utila from the green blob, campaign

Kinda looks like the hi-res satelite ran out of gas halfway between Roatan and Utila

DeepBlueDivers:
I think we should start a, Save Utila from the green blob, campaign

Hey Steve - Just read your posting on the Coral-List NOAA server. I was just in Roatan and found a spot where two spurs were completely covered with staghorn coral (Acropora cervicornis). It's growing on an older lettuce coral substrate and appears to be holding it's own although white band disease is present in the thicket. Lettuce coral apears to be very important for the reefs on the south side of Roatan, occupying the niche that staghorn and elkhorn dominated elsewhere. It looks like this has been the case for the last 100 years. I've got some ideas that I will be investigating on my next trip.

Hi

Can you do something about the green blob though LOL

We have great coral here, and some very good patches of Staghorn and Elkhorn but would love to get it back to the days before the Caribbean had its troubles, mind you we are no different, it is the same the world over, but we must try to help all we can.

Back
Top Bottom