Roatan or Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

We have booked flights to Roatan in March 2017 and I am now trying to decide if we should stay in Roatan or travel to Utila for that week. This will be a dive vacation for us. Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated? Also, any dive operators and lodging recommendations would be great.

I have spoke with a dive shop in Utila called Alton's and they have been very helpful and I have also looked into staying at a place called Lazy Daze. Anyone have any input regarding these places they can provide?

Thanks,
cruzbound

the main thing you need to decide before going to utila is do you want to be on a beach or not and do you want to be in the middle of a town or not?
utila town (where alton and lazy daze are located) is very inexpensive for accommodations but the dive boats have more people on them, there's no real beach front accommodations and the town can be quiet loud at night. if you like to party its the place to be.
if you want to be right on a beach and prefer peace and privacy i would recommend diving with utila cays diving and renting a house on treasure beach, sandy cay or at big rock. utila cays diving will pick you up in their boat (8 divers max) right from the beach at these accommodations. these places are all 10-15 mins from town by boat.

Thanks for the information. We would prefer to be able to spend some time at the beach after diving and we also like peace and quiet so your recommendations sound like something I should investigate. Can you tell me some lodging I can check into on the places you are talking about? Also, once we arrive into Utila, how would we get to those places? What about restaurants around that area as we will probably be eating dinner out every night? If I need some kind of transportation to get to restaurants, etc. what would we use and what is an estimate cost for it? Sorry for the 20 questions, we have never been there and I want to make sure it is a great vacation.

cruzbound

One more thing - it is only my husband and I so we do not need a house with tons of bedrooms.

Thanks!

these places are all 10-15 mins from town by boat.

Everything is done by boat from the houses on Treasure Beach and most of the restaurants are in town. House list; Places to Stay - Resorts, Hotels, Apartments, Rooms in Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras
An exception might be the Utopia Village restaurant - although it's an AI resort - they take walk-ins from what I was told, our DM mentioned taking his wife there. I believe it's walkable from the TB area but I've only gone past both by boat.

Note that Laguna Beach Resort either has or is in the process of closing permanently and Deep Blue is having financial difficulties for several years now.

This is just about all the options: Bars & Restaurants - Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras

Understand that ATV's and scooters well outnumber cars on the island. Once past the large mangrove lagoon west of town I don't believe there's even a road yet. Some of the Sandy Bay properties have golf carts, bikes or other means of transport to town - or it's a longish walk.

Last edited:
should i google that for you :)
treasure beach has two homes that can be rented, the coral house and the pineapple house they are on www.vrbo.com, i believe they charge by the number of guests. sandy cay is a private island with one home on it (its advertised online), big rock has a rental called "the cabana at big rock" which is also on www.vrbo.com.
all of these rentals will pick you up when you arrive on utila and will provide transportation to and from the homes. treasure beach and cabana at big rock are walking distance to utopia, or a 5 minute boat ride to neptune' bar and grill. treasure beach is also a 2 minute boat ride from a couple of local style eateries on pigeon cay.
the property managers at all these rentals can arrange boat transportation to anywhere you may wish to go.

should i google that for you :)

Snork. (Cruzbound- that was not directed to you.)

GoogleEarth- next best thing to being there. Less bug bites, too.

Thanks for the information. I did find the two homes on Treasure Beach, however they are very large hence my second post about there only being two of us. I didn't know if I was overlooking any other smaller houses. I tried to put in big rock, etc. into VRBO search box and didn't get anything specific and I didn't have time to click on every rental house in Utila so that is why I thought I would ask for some assistance. After DiverSteve gave me the link for lodging in Utila I was able to find the house on big rock. I will have to try and google Sandy Cay more because all I was finding was Sandy Beach which is not the same thing. I sent an inquiry to one of the Treasure Beach homes, I will see what they say.

cruzbound

You've only got a week. You're landing on Roatan. Why leave?

We are open to staying in Roatan, however nobody has provided me with any information about it on this board. Dive operator and lodging recommendations, etc. We would like to be away from the crowds a bit and have some peace and quiet while lodging, however we would like to be able to settle down at night with a little TV or in-house movie. Also, a dive operator that does not take a lot of divers is good too. Any suggestions for me to investigate would be appreciated. We have never been to the Bay Islands so this is completely new to me.

Thanks,
cruzbound

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom