Roatan or Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you say, you've never been before and that's another good reason to stay on Roatan.

What's the number of divers that you consider too many?

You shouldn't have to book your dives in advance. You could walk around WestEnd and figure out which outfit you prefer. I prefer West End Divers.

If you want quiet in West End, well, that can be a bit hard to predict. If you chose CocoLobo, you'll probably get quiet with fabulous views but no actual sandy beach and it's a walk to get to the dive shops, which is probably not a problem. But in the evenings, particularly if it rains, part of the walk is dark and can be an experience that some don't enjoy.

If you stay at Sueno del Mar, you might get quietness but the rooms are small despite their balconies over looking the water and beach area, and no TVs. Sueno doesn't own its onsite dive op anymore (which may be a good thing) but that's set-up is very handy.

Myself, I stay right in town in a place that's not on the water. It used to be quiet but town is getting built up around them so there's chickens/roosters and dogs and a road that didn't used to be there and neighbors that play music way too loud at times I don't want to hear it. (Just like most of Caribbean and Latin America) but it's inexpensive, has kitchen and tv (beds are hard). Good enough for me and sometimes the neighbors are quiet. :)

In West Bay, you'll have the beautiful beach every day. It's more quiet at night than West End. March is still cruise ship season but if you really are diving you'll miss most of the pod people. West Bay has a nice selection of resorts at most price points and there are some good ops, though again, if you don't want too many divers on the boat maybe you won't like Bananarama.

Glad I could help. :wink:

personally I think the diving on Utila is much better than the diving on Roatan. If your going to go to Utila you need to realize that you are either close to town or not. If you are staying anywhere around the Cayes you will be quite a distance from town by boat. There is not other way to get to town. Staying in town is fine if you like budget and lots of noise and activity. Most of the dive shops in town cater to backpackers and students getting their dive certs. There for the boats are often crowded and they seldom hit the best dive sites. Take a look at Utopia dive resort. It is an all inclusive but they will make sure you go to the best dive sites, the boat won't be crowded and from what I hear they have really good food. Keep in mind that beaches on either Utila or Roatan have a tendency to have lots of bugs.. biting bugs.. take bug spray.

We are open to staying in Roatan, however nobody has provided me with any information about it on this board. Dive operator and lodging recommendations, etc. We would like to be away from the crowds a bit and have some peace and quiet while lodging, however we would like to be able to settle down at night with a little TV or in-house movie. Also, a dive operator that does not take a lot of divers is good too. Any suggestions for me to investigate would be appreciated. We have never been to the Bay Islands so this is completely new to me.

We stayed at Turquoise Bay in April -- you can have a single room with a TV (but I've no idea what's in it Edit: in the TV, I mean: we turned it on once, flipped through the channels, and turned it off for the rest of our stay), or a cabin. There weren't crowds but there were a few non-diver vacationers from the mainland. I remember kids but I don't remember them being noisy. TB is on the "other side" of Roatan so getting to civilization and back is a long-ish taxi ride (front desk will arrange it for you). That makes touring the local restaurants a bit difficult, so it's just as well that the resort food was good. For an extra $150/wk or so you can add the all you can drink option, though we found the bar rather uninspiring.

The dive op is excellent, they kept the same group of 6 to 8 people with the same DM & captain for the entire week. With one exception: the trip to pigeon kay where they put two groups onto a larger boat -- but we splashed separately and each went with our own DM. Dives were good, with the night dive being the least impressive -- but that's compared to swimming with tarpons on the home beach (Bari Reef, Bonaire) and only meeting one other couple of divers down there, so call us spoiled. Overall diving was great and I highly recommend the op (Subway Watersports).

Take plenty of small (<$20) clean non-crumpled non-marked bills with you.

Last edited:
fyi, if utila looks more your style, don't let travel between the islands deter you, it only takes 10 mins to fly from roatan to utila.
ps. the cabana at big rock is only one bedroom if you want a smaller place but i think sandy cay and treasure beach are still less expensive

Hi All,

Thanks once again for so much input. Of course, I have more questions. If we were to stay in Roatan and would like a place that is quieter than being close to town, what lodging recommendations would you suggest? We would like to be on a beach and have a dive operator that only takes a max of 8 divers. I did check out Turquoise Bay online and it seems nice. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get there from the airport?

I am still leaning towards Utila, however the houses that were suggested might be out of our price range - though I would love to stay at one of them but since it is only two of us we have to pay the full bill :). With that said, can anyone recommend some other lodging places that may be quieter than being right in town - these can be hotel, B&B, rental house, etc.? We would love to be on a beach and also have a dive operator that takes smaller groups (max of 8 divers or less is ideal). Also, if the lodging was close enough to get to restaurants (via whatever mode of transport is used on the island - do not want to rent a car) that would be helpful. Not sure if Utila has any all-inclusive lodging that would meet our needs but we would be open to investigating that option if there are any (of course we wouldn't need to be close to restaurants then :)).

I realize my wish list is big but I am sure you all will be able to provide me with additional (good) information.

Thanks,
cruzbound

The AI resorts on Utila are on the other side of the mangrove lagoon so all access to town is via resort boat. Deep Blue is currently having financial difficulties so although I've stayed there I don't recommend now. Laguna Beach Resort is now closed permanently leaving Utopia Village as the other option. Utopia seems to be the nicest of the 3 - we had planned to go there b4 I won a cheap trip to Deep Blue in an auction so I never got to see Utopia.

Maybe Coral View? IDK much about it except location. Slightly outside of town - 5 min. ride or 20 min. walk according to their website. Coral View Utila PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Resort

Can you even rent a car on Utila? Maybe a golf cart or ATV? Anyone know?

The Airport to Turquoise Bay on Roatan should be $30. 2014 Official Taxi Rates

Last edited:
I did check out Turquoise Bay online and it seems nice. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get there from the airport?

They'll meet you w/ a van and drive you. The trip to the airport on the way out is also included @ no extra charge. (I believe every resort does it.)

no car rentals on utila but you can rent a golf cart. personally i wouldn't bother unless you hate walking, the only roads are in town and its pretty rare to have to walk more than 10-15 minutes to get anywhere in town. a bike could also be helpful, some rentals provide them

With reported troubles with Deep Blue and Laguna Beach resorts in Utila, you have high chances ending up diving from a cattle boat if you go there. In Roatan's Turquoise Bay we only had about 5 divers on the boat on average.

Ok typing this from my phone. Hope it works. All these suggestions have been great and I am checking into them.

It appears that Roatan may be a little more cost effective but I am not deterrd from utila yet. I was talking with my husband and he asked me what is the difference in the diving since this is what we r really going for. So with that said, can anyone provide me with feedback on the diving between Roatan and utila? Maybe some info about the fish and coral life and then provide a ranking of each on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best. Also if we stay/dive in Roatan is there any chance of whale sharks or r they in the utila area?

I am not sure if I ever said when we r going. We will be there from March 18 - 25, 2017. We r also flying into Roatan on frequent flier miles so catching a floght to utila will not be a wallet breaker but the lodging with privacy is the cost I sm still working on .

As always thanks for the great feedback to help me plan r vacation.

cruzbound

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom