Roatan or Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, I look forward to hearing dive site suggests.
my top 5 of 20 something we dove during the week.

Black Hills - seamount - lots of big pelagics - small schools of several different species. I wanted to go back twice.
Duppy Waters - down the wall big barrel sponges. Supposedly the only place they get that big on Utila.
Pinnacles - deep swimthrough.
Blackish Point - just a good dive.
Spotted Bay - likewise ^

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. We have decided to make the trip to Utila - even though it is not a guarantee, we would love to have a better opportunity to see whale sharks. We would love to stay at some of the more off-grid homes, it is just not in our budget. So this is what we have decided. We will stay at a place called the Round House which is about a 15 minute walk to the main center of town and the reviews say it is quiet since it is outside of town a bit. We will dive with Coral View - there prices are comparable to the cattle dive boats but they take only 4-5 divers (nice) and their price also includes all the equipment (even though we do not need it). They will also provide us tanks and weights to do some shore diving from the beach in which the house is on. I believe we will be flying from Roatan to Utila because our flight does not arrive into Utila until 12:50 PM thus not giving us enough time to catch the 2 PM ferry. It appears the flight will only be about $80 per person more than the two ferries - not too bad.

We are not going until March 2017 but I will try and remember to provide a trip report about the house and dive operator when we return.

Once again, thanks so much for all the suggestions/feedback.

cruzbound
coral view is a good dive company

Thanks diversteve for the dive spots. What are the chances of possibly seeing a seahorse? We have only seen one ever, in Curacao. I was looking for them in Bonaire but didn't see any when we were there a couple of years ago.

Glad to hear Coral View is a good dive company laurenceh. They are very responsive to my emails and questions.

Okay everyone - any other favorite dive spots we should go to when we are there? Also, what about restaurants for dinner while we are there?

Thanks!

The only place we saw seahorses was a site our DM told us we'd find them - and he was right. Unfortunately I didn't log it and don't remember what day we were there so I don't have the name. I would bet Coral View knows it though as it's just east of their property.

This site was somewhere off the town harbor entrance. Possibly one of these but none of them are in my logbook except the wrecks and Black Hills so it's possible it was an un-named site nearby. It could've been slightly farther west but the map I copied this from lists no sites there. Definitely east of the Mangrove lagoon entrance since we came from there and turned left.

Capture.JPG

We dropped and it was a steep sand flat as far as you could see - probably a 45 degree angle down. We followed it down to maybe 70' and it leveled off slightly and there was some sparse clumps of weed - both fixed and rolling around in the current. About every 3rd/4th one had seahorses attached - it was like a game to find them. I'll bet we saw 8 or 10 in that same area.

Later on the same dive we entered this small open outcropping and there was a couple morays. The DM said one moray is always there - he had a name for it. This was a several years ago.

hth,

Last edited:
there are several dive sites (and even docks) that are good spots for seahorses, tell your dive master you want to see one and i'm sure he or she will be able to oblige.

One more question for everyone - any suggestions for good dinner spots when we are on Utila would be wonderful. I am kind of picky as I don't do things like Chinese, Thai, sushi but I am good with fish (cooked), chicken, steak, pork, pizza, etc.Thanks

In town...shame you dont like asian flair food because Foo King Wok is delicious . RJ's is more to you taste i think and also delicious...(try the fresh pork chop) both are only open 3 days a week...Skid Rows has great pizza and burgers, Rehab has good all round food and wings and makes a great monkey lala..Mango Tango has good food and Neptune's which is easily reachable by boat that leaves a couple times a day for like 50 lemps

Last edited:
In town...shame you dont like asian flair food because Foo King Wok is delicious . RJ's is more to you taste i think and also delicious...(try the fresh pork chop) both are only open 3 days a week...Skid Rows has great pizza and burgers, Rehab has good all round food and wings and makes a great monkey lala..Mango Tango has good food and Neptune's which is easily reachable by boat that leaves a couple times a day for like 50 lemps

Don't forget RJ's down by the bridge. RJ’s BBQ Utila Honduras. We had the best fresh fish on their "fish night".

skid row has very good food (it may not look like much but take my word) and i highly recommend the new place called mango tango, great food and a lovely view.

Coral View in Utila is awesome! I dove with them when I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom