RX-17 Can Light replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveAv8r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,

I tried placing an order through my Local Dive Shop for an RX17 can light. I was told this week that it has been discontinued, and replaced with a far superior model, the LX25 (?) which should be available the end of the month.

Could someone please share specs and pricing info?

Thank you very much!

Thanks, Tbone -

I am aware of the LX20 Hand Held light. I am asking about the replacement Can Light - Ive heard it might be designated the LX 25, or RX 25... This is supposed to be a brand new Can Light, most likely using the LX20 technology.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

ahh, that one, sorry, when you said can light replacement I was thinking you were wanting to go to handheld.

I have seen that light, but can't disclose much, sorry. What I can say is that while I do love Dive Rite and know most everyone that works there, I wouldn't buy one of their new canisters.... The Cree XM-L2 emitters that they are using are about 1000lumen at 10W

My whole hearted recommendation would be to get one of these
UW Light Dude Canister Lights
Bobby designed the battery packs for this year, but the head hasn't changed. John is clearing out his inventory to make room for the new stuff. The UWLD lights are absolutely the best out there, and the LD-15 is plenty for most divers.

Compare | Underwater Light Dude
Check that video out, the Dive Rite will compare pretty well to the Light Monkey, be a bit more focused and a bit brighter, but neither can compare to the LD-15. Other nice thing with the UWLD Lights is the piezo switch on the light head, means you can mount the can anywhere and never have to touch it.

I have to note here that Bobby also provides amazing service to his customers. If you have an issue pop up, he always makes sure that his product is performing as it should be. Haha, at the same time, if you dive in cave country at all, you will probably run into him.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I have heard many, many positive things about Underwater Light Dude. I am just starting out in Tek diving, and cavern / caves are on my list later, once I have a bit of a clue what I am doing...

As for lights, I understand Dive Rite also puts the switch on the light head - and I actually prefer the rotary magnetic switch over the Piezo switch: easier to identify what the light is set too, and easier to change settings without having to tap / cycle through the Piezo settings...

In addition, UWLD website states the LD-15 on medium setting puts out 1100 Lumen at 10W, so the bulb sounds rather comparable - at least to my uninformed mind - to the Cree XM L2. I am curious what the Lux output is, and what the Dive Rite light puts out at the various settings?

Many friends of mine dive DiveRite products, and my local dive shop has been a proud Dive Rite retailer for many years. Being an afiliated DM has its perks too...

I really, really appreciate the plugs for Bobby's products, but - as this is a DiveRite forum - I would really like to learn about the Dive Rite products before I make a purchase decision :)

call the Dive Rite main line and ask them directly. Many of us dive Dive Rite stuff too, all of my bc's/bp/w's are dive rite, most of my reels are, quite a bit of other stuff, but there is something to be said about a company that is master of one instead of jack of all trades. The RX lights are great lights, and I'm sure you're getting a good deal, just wanted to point out that there may be some other options worth looking at. The LX20 will be enough for what you're doing though and unless you're doing GUE training, there's no need for a full canister if you don't need the burn time. The light modules will be the same

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom