Saba Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I came across this article on the internet claiming that Saba has one of the most dangerous airports in the world and should be avoided, but I'm not so sure about that. I don't recall hearing about lots of crashes when flying in and out of Saba.

We had arrived on Saba by boat so I didn't get to experience a landing but I did find the take-off rather exhilarating upon departure. The plane raced straight toward the sea; but I think that the Twin Otter plane didn't need to use the entire (short) runway for the take off.

I do remember that the tiny little airport was self-proclaimed as an "international airport" because they connected to other Caribbean islands including some that were not part of the Netherlands.

The second picture below shows a profile of the (almost vertical) island and you can see the tiny airport on the flattest area.

SabaAirport.jpg

Saba.jpg

Last edited:
I flew into and out of the airport and I think I got all 12 minutes of the flight on video. Do you know what criteria they used to determine the "most dangerous"?

It was a few years ago when I flew into Saba. I had heard a lot about the dangerous runway, but I really never felt compromised. I was actually a lot of fun. How many landings do you get to look over the captain's shoulder? Poor quality shots taken with crappy camera, but a really cool experience. Several of my friends Swear the most frightening run way was an Tegucigalpa Honduras. It looks harrowing:)
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0758 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG

My question would be what's the margin of error for mechanical failure vs. other airports? Let's say you're coming in and the breaks fail. Or you're taking off, and just as you're lifting off, an engine fails. An airport with a long 'extra' length of unused runway providing opportunity to coast to a stop could be safer than one that has you pointed at a mountain coming in, or shooting out over the sea at elevation taking off.

I've not visited Saba in any form. Those who have, when you come in & take off, do you see much room to 'do something' if the breaks fail coming in or an engine fails taking off?

Wonder how much margin for error like that a 'normal' airport has?

Richard.

shoddy sensationalist quasi journalism.

a short runway is not dangerous. it is just short. it does place limits on the types of aircraft that can use it.

i have watched planes land and take off from Saba. the run way seemed lots long for their needs.

i have also watched Alaskan bush planes land and take off in about 150 feet of sand beach on a river. neither of these situations are dangerous. just very restirctive on the types of planes that they are safely suited for.

shoddy sensationalist quasi journalism.

a short runway is not dangerous. it is just short. it does place limits on the types of aircraft that can use it.

i have watched planes land and take off from Saba. the run way seemed lots long for their needs.

i have also watched Alaskan bush planes land and take off in about 150 feet of sand beach on a river. neither of these situations are dangerous. just very restirctive on the types of planes that they are safely suited for.

I don't believe there has ever been a crash at the Saba airport, although they occasionally cancel a flight because of crosswinds. Saba is served only by WinAir, and only from St Maarten. There are three to five flights each day, except when the Medical School is beginning or ending a session. One thing to remember is that these pilots fly into there several times a day, so they get lots of practice.

I don't believe there has ever been a crash at the Saba airport, although they occasionally cancel a flight because of crosswinds. Saba is served only by WinAir, and only from St Maarten. There are three to five flights each day, except when the Medical School is beginning or ending a session. One thing to remember is that these pilots fly into there several times a day, so they get lots of practice.

Before I flew to Saba, I looked up WinAir's service record. I recall that it is owned by the Dutch government. There was one accident listed in their 50-60 year service history, and I don't believe it was flight related. I felt 100% comfortable on the flight. On takeoff, there is a nice dip when the plane clears the end of the runway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom