Sad News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
I'm sorry. I guess you are correct, since obviously your definition of "buddy diving" is the infamous: "Same Ocean, Same Day" definition!

If that's how you take it. You're a moron.... I'm tired of smart assed answers. So I'll give them back...

BigJetDriver69:
Since you say you are a DAN member, you need to read, or re-read, the report on accident statistics. The facts simply do not back up what you are trying to allege.

BJD

No, I don't. Don't really need to prove anything to you. People die. It's a fact of life. People will die today. In a tub. No suprise somebody will also die on a Reabreather.

db8us:
Any news about the dead ANDI-IT with his rebreather in Subic-bay from this week ?
Let me guess.... heart-attack ?

Hadn't heard anything about it. Don't know. It's obvious that you don't either!!

BJD

P.S.---What did I say earlier about folks who like to "shoot from the lip"??

BJD :anakinpod

To paraphrase Mr. Natural: "Get the right facts for the job, kids!"

Mverick:
If that's how you take it. You're a moron.... I'm tired of smart assed answers. So I'll give them back...
That's not giving back, though. Friendly banter is one thing, being abusive is another. It should be obvious to anyone following this board that BigJet is anything but a moron. He's an experienced RB instructor who contributes greatly to this forum. In a constructive way. Being abusive isn't being constructive, Mverick. :krach:

I'm at a bit of a loss as regards your final point, as it would appear from your first posts you tried to build up some inherent argument against rebreathers. But now you're appearing to contradict that? Not that I really care. But let's try to play nice, okay? :boxing_sm

Mverick:
No, I don't. Don't really need to prove anything to you. People die. It's a fact of life. People will die today. In a tub. No suprise somebody will also die on a Reabreather.

OOH!! Nasty words from the bad boy on the playground! Truly I am sore afraid.

I don't need to prove anything to you, either, I simply cite the references from agencies with the credentials to back up their conclusions, and suggest that people who can read peruse them for themselves. I do not try to re-define those facts.

Cheer up, mate! Just keep taking the tablets like your doctor prescribed and the world will seem like a much nicer place!

BJD :music: :bounce:

The subject of the original post is miserable enough, insults aren't getting us anywhere.

db8us:
Any news about the dead ANDI-IT with his rebreather in Subic-bay from this week ?
Good guess, Michael. Even if it wasn't meant to be. I think finns got you there, and I also read the same RB into the post below.
http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5983

Honestly, I don't think it really makes a damn difference what caused either death, the two are unfortunately just as dead. I can't imagine it making a difference to the griefing family and friends who are in my thoughts.

It might to some extend to the manufacturer, and to a lesser to other users.
But that's no reason for insults (or gloating, or exuberant signs of relieve ... ).
Two people lost their lives. Could have happened to anyone of us, underwater or above it, or to anyone we care about.

Let's hope we get access to a good accident analysis we all can learn from.

cs7

caveseeker7:
Honestly, I don't think it really makes a damn difference what caused either death, the two are unfortunately just as dead. I can't imagine it making a difference to the grieving family and friends who are in my thoughts.
cs7

Amen, sir, amen. They are in my thoughts and prayers as well.

BJD :anakinpod

What makes me angry is the feeling (i do not say fact) that the breather-community does not want to hear that it even MIGHT have something to do with either the machine or the training.
So in the end it ends up with either "heart-attacks", "beeing eaten by a shark", or "the guy was to stupid to unlug his inflator-hose", like i heard it from the Weinberg-accident.
I just think (and this means it is my personal opinion and no fact) that we are dealing here with denial...

db8us:

The person in question was an IT with ANDI (less than 2 years) and IANTD (original affiliation, although not sure if he was still active with IANTD) and was diving a Dolphin

The corroner's report listed cause of death as a massive heart attack... an official accounting of the circumstances surrounding the incident have not been made public as of yet, and until an investigation is complete we should not jump to any conclusions.
ALso some of the facts listed in the post (on the drager list and oz forum) conflict with what I have heard, so I am witholding my opinon on the incident.
This is an especially sad case in that ther person in question left behind 4 (if I remember correctly) children less tha 10 years old. At least he passed doing something he loved but it has to be scary since he probably knew what was going on..

and with regards to your prev post there are reports that the RB in question was recently modified, it was the diver's first test dive with the modified unit AND his first Solo RB dive, but again we should wait for the official accounting since it still just amounts to rumours..

caveseeker7:
Let's hope we get access to a good accident analysis we all can learn from.
db8us:
What makes me angry is the feeling (i do not say fact) that the breather-community does not want to hear that it even MIGHT have something to do with either the machine or the training. I just think (and this means it is my personal opinion and no fact) that we are dealing here with denial...
padiscubapro:
and with regards to your prev post there are reports that the RB in question was recently modified, it was the diver's first test dive with the modified unit AND his first Solo RB dive, but again we should wait for the official accounting since it still just amounts to rumours..
Actually, none of these statements are mutually exclusive.

First of all, yes, both these deaths are tragic. One victim leaves family and friends, the other four children as well. How do you quantify tragedy? The loss and the pain. It really is very sad, in the true sense of the word. To family and friends, what actually caused the accident is most certainly secondary to the sheer tragedy of the accident itself.

But then there is a duty to other rebreather divers, and to those who read this forum (and others) but haven't yet taken the plunge. This is what proper accident analysis is for. To prevent future tragedies. Therefore, information must be open, transparent and honest. Although it may seem unseemly at times, rapid analysis and informed discussion is the sine qua non of safe rebreather diving.

Here is my take on the above statements, and on the preceding threads (using the writers' handles instead of real names) on the tragic Subic Bay accident only:

(1) db8us points to another RB death and hints at a possible non-disclosure of all pertinent facts.
(2) padiscubapro hints that there may indeed be some reports which clash with the published reports on the Dräger list.
(3) caveseeker7 and padiscubapro both argue the need for proper accident analysis, which in fact is what db8us also seems to ask for.
(4) the point that at least two members of the RB community (and you can add mine and, I'm sure, BigJet's to that list too, and that's just this far) do ask for an honest accident analysis indicates that we're not in denial and that db8us's fears in this regard are unfounded.

(Please correct me if I've misunderstood anything or anyone above. This is just my own take on events.)

Now, I realize what db8us is driving at. Undoubtedly there have been some fatalities in the RB world at large (regardless of make) where there have been attempts at spin, omission of true facts and in some instances perhaps of downright lying. On both sides of the fence, as a matter of fact.

Yet I would argue that RB fatalities are more carefully examined and more intensely discussed nowadays than any other scuba deaths, including arguably even cave fatalities. Most serious RB divers do want to be informed of any and all possible failure points on their rigs, and most manufacturers want to have safe and happy customers.

Certainly there is controversy and different takes on facts, but there is a very active anti-RB - and in particular anti-Inspiration - agenda in many places, so perhaps the defensive attitude in many quarters is to be expected.

I'm not quite sure which incident Joe is referring to, but if any rig has been modified in one of the fatalities above, it would be very important to have the facts stated clearly in the report. Sadly, if indeed one of the fatalities was the first dive with a modified unit, it seems very avoidable, as a deep dive (if we're talking about Subic Bay) and a solo dive hardly are the right ways to go about a maiden dive on modified rig. Certainly this is pure speculation, but if that indeed forms part of the final conclusion in the accident report, it must be clearly stated as such.

Even if it points to 'the wrong mindset for diving RBs' or to complacency. Even if it doesn't point to a specific rebreather or further any specific agenda. Because the truth could prevent future accidents for others.

Otherwise we are truly in denial.

fins wake:
Actually, none of these statements are mutually exclusive.

First of all, yes, both these deaths are tragic. One victim leaves family and friends, the other four children as well. How do you quantify tragedy? The loss and the pain. It really is very sad, in the true sense of the word. To family and friends, what actually caused the accident is most certainly secondary to the sheer tragedy of the accident itself.

But then there is a duty to other rebreather divers, and to those who read this forum (and others) but haven't yet taken the plunge. This is what proper accident analysis is for. To prevent future tragedies. Therefore, information must be open, transparent and honest. Although it may seem unseemly at times, rapid analysis and informed discussion is the sine qua non of safe rebreather diving.

Here is my take on the above statements, and on the preceding threads (using the writers' handles instead of real names) on the tragic Subic Bay accident only:

(1) db8us points to another RB death and hints at a possible non-disclosure of all pertinent facts.
(2) padiscubapro hints that there may indeed be some reports which clash with the published reports on the Dräger list.
(3) caveseeker7 and padiscubapro both argue the need for proper accident analysis, which in fact is what db8us also seems to ask for.
(4) the point that at least two members of the RB community (and you can add mine and, I'm sure, BigJet's to that list too, and that's just this far) do ask for an honest accident analysis indicates that we're not in denial and that db8us's fears in this regard are unfounded.

(Please correct me if I've misunderstood anything or anyone above. This is just my own take on events.)

Now, I realize what db8us is driving at. Undoubtedly there have been some fatalities in the RB world at large (regardless of make) where there have been attempts at spin, omission of true facts and in some instances perhaps of downright lying. On both sides of the fence, as a matter of fact.

Yet I would argue that RB fatalities are more carefully examined and more intensely discussed nowadays than any other scuba deaths, including arguably even cave fatalities. Most serious RB divers do want to be informed of any and all possible failure points on their rigs, and most manufacturers want to have safe and happy customers.

Certainly there is controversy and different takes on facts, but there is a very active anti-RB - and in particular anti-Inspiration - agenda in many places, so perhaps the defensive attitude in many quarters is to be expected.

I'm not quite sure which incident Joe is referring to, but if any rig has been modified in one of the fatalities above, it would be very important to have the facts stated clearly in the report. Sadly, if indeed one of the fatalities was the first dive with a modified unit, it seems very avoidable, as a deep dive (if we're talking about Subic Bay) and a solo dive hardly are the right ways to go about a maiden dive on modified rig. Certainly this is pure speculation, but if that indeed forms part of the final conclusion in the accident report, it must be clearly stated as such.

Even if it points to 'the wrong mindset for diving RBs' or to complacency. Even if it doesn't point to a specific rebreather or further any specific agenda. Because the truth could prevent future accidents for others.

Otherwise we are truly in denial.

The subic bay incident was not solo or a test dive but an instructor with a student..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom