Safety equipment - PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was being a little facetious. If a U.S. Navy ship can facilitate rescue I'd be shocked if they ignored the call.

Here's a little more information. Advancements in Boating Rescue Technology

Who Will Show Up?
A third of U.S. Coast Guard helicopters can reach about 300 miles off the coast — farther if they can refuel mid-ocean — while the remainder of the fleet can respond up to 170 miles offshore. If the helicopter responding was already airborne on a law-enforcement mission, they may not have a rescue swimmer aboard. Coast Guard cutters are also stationed far offshore. Coast Guard airplanes can reach 1,000 miles from any major airstrip, worldwide. They're likely to be first on scene far offshore. They can drop handheld radios, safety equipment, water and provisions, dewatering pumps and life rafts.

Air National Guard helicopters refuel in midair in settled weather, greatly extending their range, and U.S. Navy assets are available to the rescue coordination center as well. Foreign rescue craft respond in foreign waters. Beyond 300 miles from the U.S. coast, rescue may be from a merchant ship. The Amver system monitors more than 21,000 ships from 140 nations — 40 percent of the world's merchant fleet. On average, 3,900 participating ships are at sea at any given moment, eager to respond to any high-seas emergency. An Amver ship may respond even when close to shore if the RCC deems it the best and closest resource.
And here's some Amver stories. Many of which are in the Indo Pacific. Bottom line, if you deploy your PLB for rescue, someone is coming.

Amver.com - Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue System - News Archive

http://www.amver.com/facts/FactSheet.pdf

Last edited:
I still am going to carry a Nautilus & a PLB in my next trip to Indonesia. My concern is if we get swept away by fast current in Banda Sea, a pretty remote place with very few boat traffic. With PLB, at least the US ground control would call my emergency contact (my brother in USA) to start the search & rescue steps with Indonesian Authorities. I have discussed such lost at sea or lost in the wilderness situation with him & get him prepare for such an emergency call.

Which Indo authorities and how would he contact them and get them to move their collective asses?

Just asking....

- Bill

Which Indo authorities and how would he contact them and get them to move their collective asses?

Just asking....

- Bill

Fist thing, my brother would probably contact the US Embassy in Jakarta & follow up with the Indonesian Search & Rescue Agency, Basarnas (Badan Search And Rescue Nasional) National Search and Rescue Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That link has bunch of contact info for specific provinces.

I have never been in such situation (fingers' crossed), so if anyone here have gone through such situation, please chime in & shine us some lights.

Fist thing, my brother would probably contact the US Embassy in Jakarta & follow up with the Indonesian Search & Rescue Agency, Basarnas (Badan Search And Rescue Nasional) National Search and Rescue Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That link has bunch of contact info for specific provinces.

I have never been in such situation (fingers' crossed), so if anyone here have gone through such situation, please chime in & shine us some lights.
You may be missing the point. When you trigger the emergency beacon, your brother becomes irrelevant. The SAR system goes into action when they get your distress signal. If they don't, your brother is not going to be able to help.

http://www.basarnas.go.id

You can browse the above Indonesian search & rescue agency, using Google Translate. There are several rescue operations in their news, including plane crashes, sunken boats, etc.

How would we get them move their collective asses? That's the job of the US Embassy to put some pressure to rescue US citizen lost in Indonesian sea. After all we pay US taxes for the Embassy to be there for us.

It would be good for your brother to push the envelope on his end, but my guess would be the USCG would already be two steps ahead of him.

If you read the links I posted from the USCG you'll find that once they receive a distress call from your PLB they will check your registration info (which can be updated for any and every trip). They'll try to confirm this isn't a false alarm, but won't wait longer than 30 minutes. They'll see you entered this trip in the registration and this is where the distress call is coming from, they may call your brother, but odds are if they're getting a satellite ping in the middle of the Indo Pacific they will assume it's legit. If no U.S. Assets are in the vicinity they will send out the rescue call to all Amver vessels in the area and contact foreign SAR. Odds are they probably have a direct line and don't need to jump through hoops to contact an embassy. After sometime someone will pluck you from the ocean. Hopefully still alive and well after fighting off the Sharks. :)

You may be missing the point. When you trigger the emergency beacon, your brother becomes irrelevant. The SAR system goes into action when they get your distress signal. If they don't, your brother is not going to be able to help.

Wouldn't the ground control in USA call the emergency contact person registered in my PLB?

It would be good for your brother to push the envelope on his end, but my guess would be the USCG would already be two steps ahead of him.

If you read the links I posted from the USCG you'll find that once they receive a distress call from your PLB they will check your registration info (which can be updated for any and every trip). They'll try to confirm this isn't a false alarm, but won't wait longer than 30 minutes. They'll see you entered this trip in the registration and this is where the distress call is coming from, they may call your brother, but odds are if they're getting a satellite ping in the middle of the Indo Pacific they will assume it's legit. If no U.S. Assets are in the vicinity they will send out the rescue call to all Amver vessels in the area and contact foreign SAR. Odds are they probably have a direct line and don't need to jump through hoops to contact an embassy. After sometime someone will pluck you from the ocean. Hopefully still alive and well after fighting off the Sharks. :)

I'm worry about Indonesian sharks. They are harmless. :)

I'm worry about Indonesian sharks. They are harmless. :)

Until a gang of white tips show up. Lol

Some more reading about our presence in the Indo Pacific. See pages 11-13. The US is beefing up its presence over there. Which will include Coast Guard stations and cutters at US Territories to protect our EEZ's.

https://www.uscg.mil/seniorleadership/DOCS/CS21R_Final.pdf

Wouldn't the ground control in USA call the emergency contact person registered in my PLB?
Probably. But that is to verify that you are indeed on travel and diving. If they don't get that contact person, they go ahead anyway. The point is, the system doesn't need your brother. Your chances of rescue with the system are much higher than your brother calling an embassy and trying to get some action from a foreign SAR office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom