Sardine Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is the sardine run in Moalboal still happening or has it all finished? Was hoping to go this June/July....

There is still a very good dive with sardines on the house reef in front of Savedra. Calling it the "run" is probably an exaggeration though. It's definitely worth doing but don't expect sharks or much else other than a lot of sardines.

Thanks Matt. I guess it's still worthbdoing like you said. Do you have any other recommendations of somewhere else I should combine with Moalboal? Somewhere with beautiful reefs, marine life etc and maybe even a gorgeous beach/ resort to boot??

Thanks Matt. I guess it's still worthbdoing like you said. Do you have any other recommendations of somewhere else I should combine with Moalboal? Somewhere with beautiful reefs, marine life etc and maybe even a gorgeous beach/ resort to boot??

Hi Miss Doo,

Most people who come into the Visayas combine Moalboal with either Dumaguete, Bohol(Alona Beach) or Malapascua. If you have time then hitting them all is recommended as they all have great stuff to see. Dumaguete will get you Apo Island with it's famous Sanctuary dive site and amazing corals at Chapel dive site, as well as fantastic muck diving at the beach. Bohol will allow you to visit Balicasag with schools of jacks and lots of turtles - as well as the Chocolate hills and Tarsier monkeys. Malapascua is famous for daily Thresher Shark encounters and it's beautiful beaches of white sand as well as great macro diving. There's nice resorts in all the spots although my personal favourite is Evolution on Malapascua as that's mine :)

Depending on your budget in Dumaguete/Dauin try Atmosphere $$$, Mike Beach Resort $$, or Liquid $. In Bohol look at Lost Horizons and Philippine Fun Divers which is mid range.

Enjoy!

Wow!! Matt, thank you so much!! Sounds amazing and I will look into all of the info you gave e's the million dollar question. Should I risk coming end of June or should I reschedule for January/February? I am worried about the typhoon possibilities spoiling my gorgeous trip....

Personally I would pick June every time. Chances of a typhoon are slim and June will have warmer water, warmer above water weather, better viz and less wind. January/February will be "winter" with colder water and more wind and A LOT more divers around.

Well thanks again. I am thinking about "taking the risk" as I do like the sound of warm waters and fewer divers....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom