Scary OW certification weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry to say that I recently spent 5 days in the hospital. During that time, I was able to check in from time using a tablet PC, but posting was well beyond my capability at the time.

You are confusing me. Is this posted on behalf of the OP? Was s/he in contact with you?

You are confusing me. Is this posted on behalf of the OP? Was s/he in contact with you?

I was responding without a lot of thought to Scott's post before me, indicating that a person could read the thread without being able to respond. In hindsight, it was confusing at best.

I am sorry to say that I recently spent 5 days in the hospital. During that time, I was able to check in from time using a tablet PC, but posting was well beyond my capability at the time.

Glad to see you are out and about. Hope you have healed fully or are well on the way to being so.

Ok I really feel the need to defend myself, and adress all of your questions, and accusations. So bear with me, and i will do my best to adress everyone in turn. There is alot of questions so i may not get to them all right away cause i dont want to spend all night typing on the computer, but i will adress them all as openly and honestly as i can. Let me start by saying i really resent being called a liar! Im not some attention whore thats desperate for attention! Im not going to just make stuff up for the sake of getting reactions! I joined this forum to learn all that i can about a new sport that im pursuing. I posted a story about a very dramatic weekend i had trying to get my certification. When something traumatic happens to me it always help me to write about it, so decided to write about it and post it here. I thought i might learn something about mistakes i made and how to avoid them in the future. Now i will use quotes, and try and adress all the questions that arose from my story. be patient with me. I will hopefully answer everyones questions in a day or two.

---------- Post added ----------

As said, seek medical help. It sounds like your over-exerted yourself chasing the egg, causing you to start over-breathing your regulator. Your description of a boa constrictor is exactly what it feels like. This is a very good lesson in why we need to take it easy diving and avoid exertion. It can induce panic, as you found out, and it can actually cause you to pass out underwater in extreme cases -- not good.

Once you've talked to DAN and/or seen a doctor, please come back and tell us what they said.

Congratulations on the cert!
To all the posters that reccomended i see a doctor i took your advice, and that of my own doctor after talking to him about what happened, and went to the ER today. The Xrays showed that my lungs looked ok. The blood that i saw mixed with my phlem was probably the result of some small cappilarys that busted in my lungs when i started hypervenilating and panicing, and possibly the result of over expanision. I was told my lungs will probably be sore for awhile but i should be ok

Wow

Sent from my DROID X2

Ok I really feel the need to defend myself, and adress all of your questions, and accusations. So bear with me, and i will do my best to adress everyone in turn. There is alot of questions so i may not get to them all right away cause i dont want to spend all night typing on the computer, but i will adress them all as openly and honestly as i can. Let me start by saying i really resent being called a liar! Im not some attention whore thats desperate for attention! Im not going to just make stuff up for the sake of getting reactions! I joined this forum to learn all that i can about a new sport that im pursuing. I posted a story about a very dramatic weekend i had trying to get my certification. When something traumatic happens to me it always help me to write about it, so decided to write about it and post it here. I thought i might learn something about mistakes i made and how to avoid them in the future. Now i will use quotes, and try and adress all the questions that arose from my story. be patient with me. I will hopefully answer everyones questions in a day or two.

---------- Post added ----------

To all the posters that reccomended i see a doctor i took your advice, and that of my own doctor after talking to him about what happened, and went to the ER today. The Xrays showed that my lungs looked ok. The blood that i saw mixed with my phlem was probably the result of some small cappilarys that busted in my lungs when i started hypervenilating and panicing, and possibly the result of over expanision. I was told my lungs will probably be sore for awhile but i should be ok

How to say this... the reason some of us found your story so hard to believe is not bc we were doubting *you,* but more than anything else, bc it is very hard to believe that an instructor would put someone who had your experience back in the water. If they were aware of what happened to you, that is a serious breach of ethical and professional responsibility, truly beyond our ability to comprehend. Combined with some of the other characteristics of your story... it was just hard to take.

I am glad to hear that you appear to be ok. And I am glad that you came back to this thread to talk about what happened.

I grab my instructors attention, and show him what was happening. He tried to fix it underwater but was unable to. I was quickly losing all my air! My SPG showed i had about 500 psi left. Instructor signaled everyone to start going up. I ended up having to air share with my instructor, and we went up to the surface after making a safety stop. When we got back up my air tank was completely dry.

OP,

You said the instructor tried to fix the problem but was not able to. Did he turn your air off to stop the bubbles from the leak?

This would explain how your tank appeared to be empty at the surface. If he turned your air off and the leak allowed the pressure to bleed off of the hose with your gauge to read 0 psi.

If indeed the story is true, I am very sorry to have doubted you. If things truly went down as described, this is one of the most egregious departures from standard dive class procedure that I have ever seen recounted. It is SO far from the usual that it was difficult to believe, and since there were also what appeared to be some factual issues, I started to think this might be someone concocting a tale to get reactions.

Let me start by saying i really resent being called a liar!

I can certainly understand that. And I for one am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. But you certainly should be able to understand that we have no idea who you are in this community - from our end, you are just a new account with three posts. So we have to guess which of the two conclusions are more likely:

1) That a scuba instructor took a panicked OW student who had just made an uncontrolled ascent, with physical evidence of DCI, pulmonary edema or some other type of barotrauma, and who required O2 therapy, and not only put him back in the water but certified him that day despite ongoing panic.

2) That the story was fictitious and was posted for the entertainment value of the ensuing thread.

If you have spent any time on Internet forums, you know that the second possibility is pretty common, so I don't think that you need to take such umbrage. Calling someone a liar to their face is a provocative and aggressive action, since you know the other person and are passing judgement on their honesty. We are simply questioning a story presented with no context and a number of inconsistencies.

I apologize in advance if I have doubted you inappropriately, and I'm glad that you are feeling better...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom