Scary Slate & Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... that diving within your training and diving within your comfort level are 2 totally different things. Even if I was "trained" for that dive, which I'm not yet, I wouldn't be comfortable doing it with new buddies on a "dive deep because we can" plan.

I'll probably be "allowed" to do 100' after this weekend but that doesn't mean I'll do it in a lake or quarry anytime soon. My comfort level hasn't caught up with my training. It would be a mistake for me to do it.

My $0.02

Rachel

I just did my 20th dive last night. I have done deep diving, wreck, drift, night dives. I'm comfortable planning and dealing with problems that have come up so far, but I'm still not comfortable at a dive a site that I don't know without someone that knows the area. Mabey this will change with experience...

VW- good going and dive safe

J

No, not a slam on PADI. I did not mean it that way. I do not know enough to slam anyone. PADI training tells us not to dive beyond our training and to check with locals anytime you go to a new site.

I agree it is the instructors and how they execute, plus how the students apply what they learn. In my case I dove this lake 10 times with my instructors before I felt comfortable enough to do it on my own. And my mistake was to let the others talk me into what I did not want to do. That mistake is mine alone.

With all that said though, I am now studying the adventures in diving book in prep for the AOW and I cannot help feeling much of the info in this book should have been part of the Basic training, especially the altitude, deep, buoyancy, and navigation training.

Sorry Mike!

The Ws and Vs all start to look the same after you stare at your monitor all day:wink:

I had a great instructor and I still want more training on planning my dives. For now if it doesn't feel right, I don't do it

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom