School of barracuda fish in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any known schools of barracuda fish in the Philippines? Any location or dive site?

Are there any known schools of barracuda fish in the Philippines? Any location or dive site?

What's your objective exactly? If you just want to see Barracuda for their awesomeness then you might be better off going to Sipadan or Palau?

We have a school of small yellow tails in Malapascua at one of the training sites. There's also a growing school of giant barracuda at one of our deep wreck in 50m. But neither of them is going to give you a great chance to take a photo or swim around amongst them, if that's what you are looking for.

You can sometimes see a school of yellow tail Barracuda near Sabang Point/ Monkey Beach in Puerto Galera. There is large school of Great Barracuda at Tubbataha. I have seen it both times I have been there in the last couple of years but I can't remember the name of the dive site. The only problem is to get there you have to take a 6 or 7 night liveaboard trip. In my eyes though it is the best diving in the Philippines for big stuff and worth doing at least once. We have a trip planned May 25th - 31st in 2017 if you are interested in joining with us.

Centrals, that is a good point at Balicasag Island. I was at Balicasag a couple of years ago and there was a nice school of jax fish, I was able to swim inside, I have a great video of that. I heard there was a school of Balicasag on the back side of the island but we never went over there to dive the back side.

Yes I would like to swim inside the school or close to it to get some good pictures......

Centrals, I am heading to Sogod this trip. Never been there before. I am planning to stay at Pete's place there.
Any suggestions to get the most out of this trip?

let me know.

thanks.

You can sometimes see a school of yellow tail Barracuda near Sabang Point/ Monkey Beach in Puerto Galera. There is large school of Great Barracuda at Tubbataha. I have seen it both times I have been there in the last couple of years but I can't remember the name of the dive site. The only problem is to get there you have to take a 6 or 7 night liveaboard trip. In my eyes though it is the best diving in the Philippines for big stuff and worth doing at least once. We have a trip planned May 25th - 31st in 2017 if you are interested in joining with us.

I am planning to go to Sabang this trip actually. So I will investagate that. Right now Tubbataha is out of the question, for 2 reasons.... I do not have the time and money. 1 day I will go for sure. It is on the bucket list for sure.

If you ever make it to Sogod Bay make sure you dive:
1. Limasawa Island
2. Malitog Lembeh(macro)
3. Medic Care(South and North).
4. Napantao
5. Padre Burgos Pier(macro and only available couple of nights per wk), very shallow 8-10m max. Reward yourself with a charcoal grilled roast chicken and couple of SMB after the dive.

Instead of going to PG from Cebu City you should try Sogod Bay. It is whaleshark season now.

Centrals, I am planning to arrive in Manila and layover a few days then go directly to Sogod/Padre Burgos and stay at Pete's place there. Then go to Mindanao for a week and then fly back into Manila from Mindanao, actually. Then from Manila go down to Sabang for a couple of days and then go back to Manila and fly back out. That is the general idea.

As for the whale sharks.... I have been to Donsol, 3 times now and to Oslob, Cebu 4 times. I do love the whale sharks but I will not worry about it if I do not see any. I have heard for so long how good Sogod is. So I am planning to spend 5 to 7 days there and maybe go to Verde Island again when I go to Sabang.

That is the general plan right now..........thanks for all your information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom