Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... benign site, superb, level-headed highly experienced diver...
Leg pain, 62...
To me, that doesn't point to a diving accident at all, but rather to a medical accident that happened while diving. Could have been driving, or walking, or sleeping.
Perhaps the coroner's report will shed some light.
Rick

Had one. Limped to the dives for 2 days, drove back to Texas, waited until my GF left the next day, drove to the doc's office, raised my trouser leg - action! They still let me limp to the various tests and do treatment as outpatient. No, speculating here serves no purpose as she was much better a diver, much more reasonable, and probably healthier than I. On some threads I'll join in with the what-ifs for the possible education even if just guessing on a cause, but we have no possible cause to work with - so I'll wait.

And agreeing to disagree, I have no respect for "When it's your time nothing can stop it," or I wouldn't have explored all the ways to make my diving safer. Catastrophic events can surprise us at times, but usually it's dive the plan and rinse the gear.

There is just so little to possibly learn from this tragic loss, at this point - as we just have no cause yet. You should be fine. Keep your affairs in order in case of a car wreck or other catastrophic event, dive with safe buds & Ops, plan your dives and follow your training. :thumb:

Don,making diving safer doesn't stop ones demise. One can die in a car accident on the way back from the dive. Or get a heart attack while taking ones gear off. You're fooling yourself.

Last edited:
Well said, sir! :clapping:

An experienced, competent diver dies in few scenarios, IMO:

1 - overwhelmingly complacency - a small matter blows up huge (diver fails MOD on tank)
2 - environment - cave or wreck collapse, or critter (Irukandji ?)
3 - equipment new to them (new drysuit?)
4 - medical

I suspect 2 - 4. Can anyone add to that?

The timing isn't right to post any details yet. What happened is very confusing. We need to wait for the results of the autopsy.

R..

Gypsyjim, I know you've said not to speculate but find I can't help myself. What if her leg pain was actually deep vein thrombosis?

Good point. It could also be a heart issue.

Know a fellow whose 60 fit year old wife suddenly had a heart episode while swimming her usual laps in a local pool and died quickly.

Quite possible that Quero's sad event had nothing to do with an diving technique or equipment.

Let's please just wait for the coroner's report

Thing is that everyone on Scubaboard is hurting because of this. I know I certainly am and its only natural to want answers.
That's why we've filled 49 posts with nothing.

With the lack of any meaningful information, the Scubaboard citizens are naturally going to grasp at straws and speculation might ruin any chance of learning what we can from this tragedy. So if anyone does have any additional real information, please do share it in the interests of keeping speculation down.

Thing is that everyone on Scubaboard is hurting because of this. I know I certainly am and its only natural to want answers.

With the lack of any meaningful information, the Scubaboard citizens are naturally going to grasp at straws and speculation might ruin any chance of learning what we can from this tragedy. So if anyone does have any additional real information, please do share it in the interests of keeping speculation down.

I want to know what happened as badly as anyone, but I'd rather wait for details and facts than see a bunch of rampant speculation.

I've known people who have been present during an accident and two things I learned from them is that they are often in shock and devastated in the days to follow, and that they are often advised by legal counsel not to make any statements until the incident can be investigated.

At this point, we have to remember their needs will come before our desires to know.

I've seen many accidents and incidents threads with lots of speculation and other posts with people defending such as theorizing is part of the forums rules...

I know Quero was huge part of our community but I don't see the harm in theorizing based on current information as being harmful as long as its within the rules...

Let's please just wait for the coroner's report

in the interests of keeping speculation down.

Anything else is useless speculation

I'd rather wait for details and facts than see a bunch of rampant speculation.

Because so many times we never really know what happened, I thought this forum was the place to sometimes speculate about what may have happened. Isn't this where we say it could have been this or it could have been that and then learn or talk about if it was then what we could do differently in the future to aviod the same situation. Why must speculation be a bad thing? I think it can prove to be very useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom