Scuba gear shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the best regs on the market. All the rest is peripheral.

I bought a BC first, But being a small female rentals where never well fitted. The next thing i am buying is a Reg.

I think BC and reg are about equally important. If I have to choose one, I would get BC first because it will affect diving experience immediately. With your own BC, you can also work on your trim and weighting. Once you nail it, you will be more consistent in water. With rental, you may get a different type/brand/model everytime, hard to nail down the trim and weight.

Also, BC requires a lot less maintainance than reg, so the cost of owning a BC is also less than that of a reg.

However, if you are set on getting a reg, check out Oceanic Delta4 at Leisurepro. They are selling it for $299, authorized dealer, 2 year manufacture warranty. Not sure if there is a better choice for the same price. I am picking up one myself.

Finally I bought my BC. Brand new Sea Elite Scout at Divers Supply. The deal was so good that I've gone for a new one instead of buying used.
The reg is my next objective. I must wait a few months for this, otherwise my wife will throw me out home.

Just curious, can a LDS service the ScubaMax regs, or is it just available/repairable at divemaster supply? Has any body used these? Recomendations on model? Also, looking at a package for my son. He is 14 and recently certified. Here is the package I am looking at DISCOUNT Dive Gear Equipment Package, HAMMERHEAD buoyancy compensator package, dive regulator package, octopus and gauge package | Discount Scuba Equipment Packages| Essential Scuba Gear List packages start under $650, professional quality ScubaMax a Is it any good?

Buy the best regs on the market. All the rest is peripheral.

This is a typical "spend more, your life is worth it" type of post.

Almost any regulator sold by a respected major manufacturer will work absolutely fine for recreational diving. I spent $84 on my current 'go-to' single tank regulator set (1st and 2nd stage), and I'm pretty certain it performs as well as "the best regs on the market", whatever that might be.

Of course, I do have a knack for finding good deals on used regs, and I know how to work on them. The point is, it's difficult to buy a bad reg if you stick to the major brands like scubapro, aqualung, zeagle, mares, sherwood, etc...

This is a typical "spend more, your life is worth it" type of post.

Almost any regulator sold by a respected major manufacturer will work absolutely fine for recreational diving. I spent $84 on my current 'go-to' single tank regulator set (1st and 2nd stage), and I'm pretty certain it performs as well as "the best regs on the market", whatever that might be.

Of course, I do have a knack for finding good deals on used regs, and I know how to work on them. The point is, it's difficult to buy a bad reg if you stick to the major brands like scubapro, aqualung, zeagle, mares, sherwood, etc...

I fully agree with your position.
The most expensive regulator may fail if not properly maintained, rinsed, stored, and used with care.

Just curious, can a LDS service the ScubaMax regs, or is it just available/repairable at divemaster supply? Has any body used these? Recomendations on model? Also, looking at a package for my son. He is 14 and recently certified. Here is the package I am looking at DISCOUNT Dive Gear Equipment Package, HAMMERHEAD buoyancy compensator package, dive regulator package, octopus and gauge package | Discount Scuba Equipment Packages| Essential Scuba Gear List packages start under $650, professional quality ScubaMax a Is it any good?
Yes, the Hammerhead Package from Divemaster Supply is very good. You get a balanced regulator with adjustable second stage, a complete gauge console, and the BC is great. If you aren't satisfied, you can return it in 30 days too. Your local LDS should be able to service these, but you can call them to find out. Divemaster Supply is an authorized ScubaMax dealer too, so the manufacturer warranty always applies.

Thanks for the comments.
+2 for the regulator.
However, from the LDS that rents equipment point of view, the regulator service is mandatory. It's a life support device, but the BC is an accessory. If it's not working properly, well the diver should be able to handle. If it loses air, the diver will go to the bottom or will need more effort and more air to keep flotability. If the power inflator do not cut (that happened to me) the diver has to manage to avoid going to the surface as rocket. This is more dangerous than going to the bottom as a stone (unless you are diving a wall).
From the 36 dives I have under my belt, more than 80 % of the times I had complains with the rented BC, and only one time a minor problem with the regulator.

Find another dive shop that has decent rental gear. That crap about being able to handle malfunctioning gear is just a way to get new divers to buy gear IMO. and don't buy from the shop that has been renting you crap.

Finally I could do several good deals.
I bought a used refurbuished reg set in ebay, a spg console and a 5 mm Henderson Thermoprene shorty in Divers-Supply to add to my old Dufour Farmer John.
This is the last item I needed.
I want to clarify that I'm in no way related to Divers-Supply, but they have a very good service and prices.

Back
Top Bottom