Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once found a Kermnit the frog at The Pinnacle dive site in Utila. I wasn't given any clues I just happened across it. Is the appropriate etiquette to leave the object for others to find? I presume so.

rachelscott51:
Besides clues from shore from a GPS point, how else would you go about setting up a scuba cache?

I've toyed with this idea before and this is the best that I have come up with.

GPS does not work underwater so: You give the GPS coordinates of the water entry point. Be it from shore or from a boat. Assuming that you were from the shore you would then give a clue as to where to search next. For example, you could say that the cache is somewhere along a heading of 120 degrees. You then have to scuba along that bearing until you find the cache.

In my opinion the underwater seach would be the most fun and there a bunch of fun variation on the theme.

Easiest is to give a compass bearing, distance, and aprox depth. So you say, follow 120 degrees for 40 feet at an aprox depth of 30 feet to find the cache.

You can give just a bearing and a max depth. Follow 120 degrees. You should find the cache above 60 feet.

You can give just a distance. The cache is within 20 feet of the point.

More fun can be had by stringing nav points together. You get a number of plastic stakes and number and/or color them for easy reference then you combine the seach types. For example:

Nav 1 is 20 feet from shore.
Nav 2 is off Nav 1 at 120 degrees and is above 90 feet.
Nav 3 is within 30 feet of nav 2 and is between 60-70 feet.
Nav 4 is 40 feet away from Nav 3 along 60 degrees.

The cache is at the last stake. Or you could put a box locked with a combination lock and the numbers on the stakes are the combination. Or you have to contact the "cacher" with the proper code to get to the cache. Etc, etc.

Have not had the time/energy to actually try this. It would probably be the most fun/challenging in a murky lake. Probably not a good idea to sink a bunch of stakes into a reef.

Keith

Sounds like you could also float a gps in a diver down float as well and try to triangulate where you are.

My Garmin e-Trex is waterproof to 3' or so I believe. It'll lose signal as soon as it's underwater of course, but I solved the problem by floating it in a Ziploc bag half filled with air (also because I wasn't sure if it would float or sink when left to its own devices)

If you check my cache listing, you'll see I posted the coordinates for the actual cache itself, as well as the micro..... Maybe that makes it "too easy", but all the micro contains is actual directions for how to find the cache using a dive compass, no GPS required!

Wow - something to do with a GPS besides record the co-ordinates of all the Tim Horton's between here and Tobermory.

Back
Top Bottom