SCUBA in rivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sancho1702, your question is too broad.

Some rivers are so wide and so slow that it's like diving in a lake. Other rivers have dangerous whitewater rapids.

Here in West Virginia, there is a danger of getting stuffed under boulders because of the poor visibility and the strong whitewater current. It's always extremely dangerous if the current is pushing you faster than you can react to obstacles because of the poor visibility.

Never underestimate the power of current. You can get snagged on something or stuffed into a hole and the current can make it impossible to rescue yourself. Your buddies won't be able to help either, they'll be far downstream before they realize you're no longer there, and you can't fight the current.

Trees wedged into holes make for very dangerous strainers.

Man-made structures and debris are always very dangerous.

Streamline. Make sure you've got nothing dangling that can snag on something.

Dove the Colorado just below Hoover Dam some years ago. The outfit was Drew's Dam Divers, but a quick google search (in an effort to be helpful and post a link) makes it seem like Drew is OOB. Don't know if anyone else is doing it.

It was fun. Water was chilly (I'm a WWW) but manageable. The current is dependent on the dam's output (duh) and we were supposedly there on a medium day. I think we zipped along at 5 kt the entire time, so it was a bit like a roller coaster, dodging rocks and skimming along the gravel bottom. There was one area that was swirly that they warned us to stay clear of because it would suck to try to get out of if you got into it. We all avoided it with no issues. Vis was about 30'ish IIRC.

$0.02

Sancho1702, your question is too broad.

Some rivers are so wide and so slow that it's like diving in a lake. Other rivers have dangerous whitewater rapids.

Here in West Virginia, there is a danger of getting stuffed under boulders because of the poor visibility and the strong whitewater current. It's always extremely dangerous if the current is pushing you faster than you can react to obstacles because of the poor visibility.

Never underestimate the power of current. You can get snagged on something or stuffed into a hole and the current can make it impossible to rescue yourself. Your buddies won't be able to help either, they'll be far downstream before they realize you're no longer there, and you can't fight the current.

Trees wedged into holes make for very dangerous strainers.

Man-made structures and debris are always very dangerous.

Streamline. Make sure you've got nothing dangling that can snag on something.

Yeah, up there in your neck of the woods, the rivers are wilder than they are around here. If you ever get the chance, try the Ohio. I think you'll like it.

We dive the Niagara River above the falls all the time.

Just talk to local divers before hand, they will tell you where to get in and get out at. Along with details of the dive. River diving is a lot of fun, if there is a stiff current its a lot of fun. You just need to be prepared for it.

Anyone who has ever lived in Chicago could tell you exactly when that was shot (the date, not the year): March 17. Chicago has a tradition of dyeing the river that shade of green every year on St. Patrick's day.

It all depends on the river, I guess. We have several local rivers we can dive, but there are times to avoid each of them.

This is the Illinois River. I'm not sure when this was shot, but given the green of the water and the vis, it must be July.

Yea there are a few places around than run trips, I'll check out AB and a few people from my dive club went last year actually and are interested to go back. But letting me know about your trips, that would be great if you don't mind! NZ is about the only place I can drag my non diving partner to also (he likes the cold, and snowboarding :wink:) so keen to get back soon. :)

We'll be sorting out some dates for the rest of the year soon, likely to be two trips in September and two in November..... but we can always arrange one to suit anyone!

Dave, what was that chasm thing you were in on the video?

That's the gorge. It's about 50' deep an about 5' wide there. When conditions are right, water is ripping through the gorge and it's a blast to navigate the logs that can jam there. Kinda like flying through a canyon at high speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom