Scuba police...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My my French is weak. Was he arresting that diver for poor trim?

It was a 2 Euro fine for exceeding his depth limit and 5 years in prison because the LP Hose said "Maximum Working Pressure" in English, not in French. :D

Terry

Maybe I missed something in the vid, but it looked to me like they are running Jet Skis in the same area divers will be surfacing?

IANAL, and especially not a French one, but as far as I remember:

Diving in a structured environment was regulated (commercial, club, teaching, anywhere where an officialy 'expert' diver is leading others) - it matches the video as the cop is checking a group of students and an instructor.

In a non structured environment (group of friends), divers are free to do as they want - including rent tanks and kill themselves, with or without a certification, although one could be prosecuted for 'putting others in danger' in some circumstances. Typically, that would be an experienced diver leading beginners in a 'trust me dive' way beyond their limits.

All that said.... :shakehead:?!!! (not that I wouldn't take the job if it was that or traffic control)

The 'nanny-state' mentality is growing!

Remember, no one below the certification level of state official is capable of determining the 'right' or 'safe' method of living.

It must be said that the French are not normally known for a zealous approach to diver safety.

Things may have changed, but I remember back in 1984 there was an outfit in St Martin that would take uncertified divers down to 140 feet on DSD/resort courses and they would need to decompress before resurfacing. I doubt that practice survives today, but even in 1984 it was pretty shocking.

The difference between a guy knowing what he is talking about :

IANAL, and especially not a French one, but as far as I remember:

Diving in a structured environment was regulated (commercial, club, teaching, anywhere where an officialy 'expert' diver is leading others) - it matches the video as the cop is checking a group of students and an instructor.

In a non structured environment (group of friends), divers are free to do as they want - including rent tanks and kill themselves, with or without a certification, although one could be prosecuted for 'putting others in danger' in some circumstances. Typically, that would be an experienced diver leading beginners in a 'trust me dive' way beyond their limits.

All that said....
shakehead.gif
?!!! (not that I wouldn't take the job if it was that or traffic control)
And another who doesn't :

You won't be missing anything, I assure you.
Hey Mr Rhone ( one of our biggest river :D), where the hell did you dive in France ?
Cave diving in South West ?
Rangiroa in French Polybesia?
Lavezzi Island in Corsica?
The wrecks of the Hyere's islands ?
WW2 wrecks in Normandy ?
The lagoon of New Caledonia ?

I'm very sad that you didn't appreciate it.

This storry of the UW cops squad checking the certs on the bottom amused us also.
I guess they never do it witout a camera around.:)
Maybe they just needed new gears ? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom