Scuba police...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think all the french is the same.. Here in Quebec, the scuba government (LOL) has to give you the OK and deem you good enough with enough skills to be able to scuba dive in the province of Quebec. I think its a crock...

Ha, the infamous FQAS card. You don't meet many people around here who like that. The real joke is that getting the card is so easy that it seems implausible that it makes divers safer than with just an OW (even if you got it at a resort). What I'd really like to know is if it had any effect on divers death statistics in the province.

I think all the french is the same.. Here in Quebec, the scuba government (LOL) has to give you the OK and deem you good enough with enough skills to be able to scuba dive in the province of Quebec. I think its a crock...

What have you got against the "french" ? Try first to formulate your comments in proper English, here "is" should be replaced by "are".

You can voice your opinion about a subject but you don't have to cast aspersions all over the place. If you are not happy with the "french" in Quebec, Canada is a big country.

In Quebec we have a regulation that states that a diver has to have proper training to dive in the province. That means he must be familiar with a cold water low vis environment. It's not really enforced. I also I think it's a recognition of the poor quality of training given by agencies in the south.

This came about because there were many deaths with recreational divers who had obtained their certs in the south and when confronted with very different local conditions panicked in low vis or with a free flow.

Now, for my part I believe this regulation is pretty useless and just an encroachment in our liberty to live our lives as we see fit. There are always do-gooders who take our welfare at hart.

In France, and in Europe in general, governments have a tendency to put their noses in peoples businesses, as exemplified by that report.

Now to answer the comments by those who like to do some French bashing:

I have to say that this tendency is starting to show on our side of the Atlantic. What about all the agencies that exist in the US: FBI, NSA, Homeland Security, CIA and all the so called "rentacops" badge carrying deputies and bounty hunters.

I have nothing against the french, or police divers.

But to be honest, if someone is going to give me crap on a dive where I have limited time, I'm going to be PISSED. You can come talk to me after the dive. If I'm crashing all over coral and destroying stuff, that's another story. And if I see that guy swimming toward me on a dive, I'm going to go the other way, never mind the cop part, he has stroke written all over him man. He looks like a freaking xmas tree moving through the water, all the way down to the bowie knife strapped on the outside of his leg!

First of all, If someone could just replace this crap into the loo ?

Remember, that is France you're talking about--------where the army wears brown pants for 'coverups'.....
It would be easyer to chat around.
:shakehead:

Come on guys !
This was just a buzz ! Don't you know that serious infos ARE NOT on TV ?
TV news are just a show.:popcorn:

They found thoose cops in one single place in France and let's go : " Hey Harry look at that ! 'could be good between Obama' hollydays and Sarko's stroke ?"
"Sarko had a stroke ?!?!???":shocked2:
"Come on Harry...I was kidding...":shakehead:

@ Belmont : French bashing is defenately something good.
Let them chat and count your friends ! :D

The French do seem to enjoy their stockings. That policeman even put them on his tanks!

(yes, I know people outside of France put stockings on their tanks. They still look like a burlesque show underwater)

Last edited:
It really piques my curiosity how French (Quebecois included) always seem to find a way to obfuscate and complicate things which elsewhere in the world Darwin deals with in the most simple way possible...

I remember being taught in law school that the different between English legal philosophy and French legal philosophy was that in England we believed everything should be permitted unless there was a good reason to ban it, and in France they believe everything should be banned unless there was a good reason to permit it.

I don't know if that translates well on the other side of the Atlantic - I have never been to Quebec, but in the U.S. it seems damn near impossible to do anything without some kind of license or permit from some kind of authority. Thank goodness scuba is still the exception, although that's probably only because the authorities regard it as self regulated (certainly challenging, albeit not impossible, to go diving without being certified by a major agency).

You know, the first thing that comes to my mind is Peter Sellers in a wet suit.

"Bon jour! I am Chief Diving Inspector Clouseau! Please show me your diving pay-pairs!" (right about then, his BC would explode...)

:D

(Sorry; no matter how well Steve Martin plays the role, no one will ever truly replace Sellers as Clouseau)

After watching that video, it makes me wonder if they really expect you to be carrying your C-card while on your dive. Jeez. I go diving to AWAY from such things.

Back
Top Bottom