SCUBA Regulator for speeds at 3 to 4 knots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REVAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm presently using a US Divers SEA-4 regulator. The last time I had it serviced, I had asked the shop to adjust the reg for fast scooter diving, and a high cracking pressure is okay by me. However, in spite of this request, it starts to free-flow a little over 2 knots, and by 2.5 it is flowing pretty hard. Does anyone know if this is as good as this reg can get, or is it likely the shop did not adjust it per my request?

If this is as good as this reg can get, what is a good reg to shop for that won't free-flow when hitting speeds around 4 knots? I'll need something that uses standard 9/16 hose fitting to use my elbow fittings, and the more compact the 2nd stage, the better.

or go "old school" with a ScubaPro Pilot/Air1 or a D-series if you like to do your own service. :stirpot:

Poseidon Xstream
I have an Poseidon Odin that I don't use any more because it is too hard to find anyone that can service it. The last time I had it serviced outside of cave country, I got one dive from it and stuck in freefow the next time I tried to use it. I got tired of shipping it to central Florida and spending upwards of $200 for reliable servicing. Also Poseidon regs don't use standard hose fittings, so that's a bit of an issue as well. I need my elbow on the 2nd stage.

I was hoping to find something a bit more common that would work. Does it exist?

send your Odin to me... I'll make sure it is properly disposed of. The Xstream is has inhale diaphragm behind the body so it won't freeflow and there are adapters out there to take them to standard hoses. All of mine have them.

If you want them serviced properly, send them to Air Tech in Raleigh, NC. They actually know what they're doing

Get a Kraken Argonaut - The regulator is a true double hose, the diaphragm is up against your back, so your body will break the additional pressure from you moving at 2+ knots.

The inline adjustment tool is a little overkill unless he also has a magnehelic and knows what cracking pressure he needs.

I think a screwdriver or hex key would be sufficient.

Last edited:
The Atomic M1!!!

do you have dpv experience at these speeds with that regulator to know whether or not it actually is capable of not freeflowing? Atomics are some of the easiest breathing regs on the market and with a normal Scubapro esque design with a front facing diaphragm, that puts them at the same probability of freeflow as any other regulator of that style. Those types of scooter speeds are very fast, and the pressure from the water will depress the diaphragm. Only way to escape it is to move the diaphragm elsewhere or make the regulator breathe like complete sh!t. Poseidon Xstream, Poseidon Cyklon, and Oceanic Omega series are probably the only options for regulators out there that won't freeflow at 400fpm due to the diaphragm facing backwards or on the side. The Jetstream likely will not freeflow at those speeds, but since he wants it to be as small as possible, the Xstream is really the best option.

Which dpv are you using where you can get up to 4 knots, and how are you sustaining it? I'm not aware of any dpv's that are able to go over 3 knots, and that is both painful and exhausting....

Back
Top Bottom