Scuba sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rkermd

Registered
Reaction score
hi guys. New to diving. Was going to get a scuba sausage for safety. Not sure which one to get. Is there a "best" one out there, quality and construction wise?. Seems like prices are all over the place.

On the most basic level there are only two types.

1) Ones that will not allow the air to accidentally escape once they have been filled and
2) Ones that will.

Of those two types you need the first, imo. I don't even know why the other type still exists.

The question then breaks down to how you want to fill it. There are basically four ways.
1) ones that have a tube that you blow up with your mouth
2) ones that have a nipple to be used with an LP hose
2) ones that are open on the bottom so you can exhale into them or use your octopus to blow them up
3) ones that have a small cylinder of compressed air attached to them.

Which of those you prefer is up to you. What I can tell you for sure is that the ones with the little cylinder are the easiest to use. you open it and the blob is 100% full every time. They are also the quickest to deploy. The down side is the little cylinder. It's more bulky than the other options and they are also the most expensive to buy.

In my opinion the ones that have a nipple for an LP hose aren't much use. you need to unclip the hose or have one extra on your kit. That's not a clean option. Also, I see a small risk that if lateral pressure gets on the hose that it could jam onto the nipple. I've never heard of it happening but I wouldn't want one because I think it is better to avoid potential problems than to solve them.

That leaves the ones with the tube and the open ended ones. The basic difference there is whether or not you're comfortable taking the reg out of your mouth to blow up the blob.

Hope that helps.

R..

if using the tube, how many breathes (on average) does it take to blow up a sausage to how you want it?

A lot of people seem to like the DAN one. I have a generic-ish (can't event remember the brand) 6 ft sausage that can be inflated orally, with LP inflator hose, or a second stage exhaust (open bottom with a 'soft' sort of valve) and a spool.

And how many breaths, well, depends on depth. If you're deep, you only need to put a little air in, as it will expand as it rises. All these options have an outlet valve. A closed bottom, large SMB that can be filled in a variety of different ways is the most flexible option.

if using the tube, how many breathes (on average) does it take to blow up a sausage to how you want it?
Depends on the size of the sausage...a small one might do with one good breath. A large one might take several breaths. remember that the purpose of the sausage is to be seen....so a small one might be false security. Note that even the ones that have an inflation via the LPI hose can still be inflated orally. By the way, if one is not comfortable taking the regulator out of their mouth, I question their readiness to dive in situations where they might need a sausage! Regulator-out-of-mouth is a VERY basic skill, taught from the very first confined water session.

Another thing that should be noted is color. Yellow is preferred in our area because in the past operators have claimed orange SMBs have blended in with sky making them hard to see

I like the manual fill one where u blow into it. 6 foot. Is there a brand people prefer? DAN one is sold out. It is also twice the price of those on amazon

I really like a brand of DSMB's from Piranaha Dive Mfg. Best price I've seen anywhere. I have a 4 ft., 6 ft. and 8 ft. They are very functional because you can inflate them from the open bottom one way valve or oral inflate with the nipple or a low pressure inflator. They have a over pressure relief valve and the one way valve on the bottom does not let air out. For me I have a Dive Alert on a dedicated hose and use that to inflate. So far this setup has worked great for me.

72-Inch-Tall-YELLOW-Hog-SMB--Semi-Closed-Smb

8-Foot-High-Viz-Orange-SMB-Ocean-Model-

Back
Top Bottom