Scubadiving statistic & trends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only are there no reliable data on divers there is no common definition of the term "diver". So, no definition and no data. Sounds like a fertile field for a dissertation with at least a 10 page bibliography.

However, in common English, "data" can be used in the singular, and it is much more common than "datum." As the Merriam-Webster Dictionary says, "Data leads a life of its own quite independent of datum."

Examples from Dictionary.com: plural use--"These data are described more fully elsewhere"; singular use--"Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil." The site also states, "It is almost always treated as a plural in scientific and academic writing. In other types of writing it is either singular or plural. The singular datum meaning “a piece of information” is now rare in all types of writing."

Big red flag of illiteracy when you use it as if singular, which it is not.

Same story as with bacteria vs bacterium.

Well, I'm not illiterate, but I do make mistakes in grammar. Thanks for setting me straight.

Now this could be interesting....

Tnx everyone for answers...I was afraid it was gonna come to a conclusion like this...I guess I'll just have to improvise...or maybe lower the area to my home country...
Tnx again for the answers :D

The thing is no one knows for sure. The different certifying agencies never will give you the straight scoop! They don't want each other showing a gain over one another. People in the industry feel the numbers are totally inflated. Better switch to another topic now.

Tnx everyone for answers...I was afraid it was gonna come to a conclusion like this...I guess I'll just have to improvise...or maybe lower the area to my home country...
Tnx again for the answers :D

You don't say what educational level this paper is for, or how much effort you want to expend.

But, it is possible to write a paper pointing out that there is no reliable data and the need for the data. You might even go so far as to suggest the proper governmental or non-governmental body to gather, analyze and disseminate the information.

Or, the quick and easy thing to do is switch topics to something that you can put together fairly quickly.

Decision time.

However, in common English, "data" can be used in the singular, and it is much more common than "datum." As the Merriam-Webster Dictionary says, "Data leads a life of its own quite independent of datum."

Examples from Dictionary.com: plural use--"These data are described more fully elsewhere"; singular use--"Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil." The site also states, "It is almost always treated as a plural in scientific and academic writing. In other types of writing it is either singular or plural. The singular datum meaning “a piece of information” is now rare in all types of writing."

You 'da man' Imorin........I was hoping it was correct(no telling what that other guy will say when I make a post with 'ain't' in it---or if I use the term '****ting ****' for 'defecating feces').........close to a plurale tantum maybe......

Back
Top Bottom