ScubaPro or Genesis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He has a ScubraPro MK20/G250 with a console or a Genesis GR450/GS2000 with a console.
Both of them have psi/computer/compass.
The Genesis is brand new and the Scubapro is the one he was using for an extra. Until I started using it.
So, I can have whichever one I want but I don't know if new is necessarily better.

Which one would you use if you were just starting out?

No brainer, the SP. Not even close. Avoid the genesis reg, it has this bizarre depth compensating valve-driven dry ambient chamber added on to a sherwood-style flow-by piston. The result is that it lacks the reliable simplicity of the sherwood design while also sacrificing the air flow performance of a flow through piston like the MK20. The G250 2nd stage, assuming it's not G250HP, is one the most successful and copied 2nd stage designs in history. A real classic.

Easy choice - the scuba pro. Prior to the Genesis/Sherwood split, I would have had to give this more thought. My circa later 1980's Sherwood Oasis + rocks - still rocks today. However, my newest regs (MK20/G500 and MK25/250V) are great too! In my opinion, Genesis did not get the best reg end of the Genesis/Sherwood split. Actually, both suffered in my opinion.

Last edited:
pick one that you can service locally. For beginner (equipment wise, not diving wise), I can't stress that enough, until you have more knowledge about the gears.

pick one that you can service locally. For beginner (equipment wise, not diving wise), I can't stress that enough, until you have more knowledge about the gears.

This used to my my mantra as well. And for me as I am fortunate enough to have a great scuba technician locally at our dive shop, this is my practice. However, the diving retail and service environment is changing. There are now folks (internet based) that are not local that can service your gear and have it back to you in short order. Dive Right in Scuba, Scuba Toys, Diver's Supply are just a few.

I love my Scubapro equipment. My reg is 9 years old and very reliable. It's a different model than yours I trust all Scubapro gear. I have never had a problem. I get it serviced every year to keep it in good working order.

The Genesis GS2000 was my very first reg, only had it for about a year, before selling it off to get Mares V16 Proton. Just like everyone has said, I would get the Scubapro over the Genesis any day of the week. Is Genesis still in business??

Well thank you all very much! I'll use the ScubaPro setup from here on out. I like it better because it's not yellow for one thing! I only like black, blue and white. And the "S". I know, that's not good reasoning but they're the only facts I was certain of.
04.gif

If I'm reading this right, her DM friend is offering her a choice of regulators to use and that she isn't buying yet. If so, I'd argue that it doesn't really matter.

I've dove cheap sherwood unbalanced piston regs dozens of times in Jamaica and they are just fine. The DM's down there love them because it's easy to keep them serviced in good condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom