Scubapro Seawing Nova fin, users review?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freediving fins are probably overall the most powerfull fastest fin out there, but you have to have the legs for them. Without in-shape legs they will be more detrimental than advantageous. Same with jets, but jets give less results with the same or more effort. Jets suck for regular flutter kicks, they are better for frog, modified frog, backing up, helicopter turns, etc.
I tried Novas in a pool and liked them. But I found they are promarily designed for flutter kick only. Not as much thrust as freediving fins but less effort also. Freediving fins also come in many flavors too, let's not forget that. Some are stiff, some are soft, plastic, fiberglass, carbon, entry level, pro grade, etc. lots of variables.

I asked this question in the Manufacture's section of Scuba Pro but maybe I can get answers here as well:
The Sea Wing Novas come in different colors and I was told that the various colors have different strengths and stiffness. Can anybody offer information to this claim and what each color offers in the way of stiffness?

The Gorillas are stiffer. They have a grey strap.

Thanks for the reply back. Yesterday I bought a pair of the new gray,Sea Wing Novas,not the Gorillas.The dealer said that they were a little stiffer then the black SW Novas.I will be trying them out at White Star either Wed. or Thursday.The few divers that I know that dive the novas have nothing but good to say about them.
That's Gilboa quarry in my avatar.

The Gorillas are stiffer. They have a grey strap.

I have the orange "Professional series" fins. Love them. Great for frog kicking & excellent for back kicking. Not quite enough for doubles/ technical, but more than adequate for recreational diving.

There are lots of conversations on this subject on SB (some are quite contentious and emotional--fin choice seems to be a very personal thing). For bucking current, many people are proponents of full foot freediving fins. I haven't tried them, but my mind is open to them after what I saw a few years ago. I was on a dive trip to Kume, one of the islands near Okinawa. My buddies and I were being guided by one of the local dive guides. We were all pretty experienced technical divers, using Scubapro jets, Hollis F1s, and OMS Slipstreams, all pretty optimally streamlined, and all decent swimmers. We were kicking against stiff current trying to get to a vantage point to see mantas. My buddies and I were neck and neck, doing well in the current but stroking pretty hard. The dive guide, using the long freediving fins, was obviously having an easier time of it, having to slow down to allow us to keep up. I own a set of Seawing Gorillas, and while fairly powerful, I find them a little awkward for other than a flutter kick (although I can perform other kicks). Maybe I need to use them more. Personally, I tend to use jet-style fins mostly, and find them the most maneuverable and a good all-around fin. I'd definitely consider trying the freediving fins if I were planning a trip where I had to deal primarily with stiff currents (or procure a scooter).
Can you please recommend a freediving fin that is very powerful. Thanks

I use and sell ScubaPro and in my store we have sold Seawing Novas the most. Everyone who has bought them loves them. They say they are faster and have lots of thrust and definitely used less air. I have a pair of Seawing Novas and I love them. I sit and think how did I know about them earlier. I love my Seawings and never see myself using anything else.
I loved my seawings until I was in a strong open ocean current going not where I wanted to go. I have over 500 dives and was very disappointed as my seawings never let me down. Does scuba pro have a fin that is stronger than the seawing nova? Are the freediving fins strong than the nova? If yes, which ones?

Freediving fins are probably overall the most powerfull fastest fin out there, but you have to have the legs for them. Without in-shape legs they will be more detrimental than advantageous. Same with jets, but jets give less results with the same or more effort. Jets suck for regular flutter kicks, they are better for frog, modified frog, backing up, helicopter turns, etc.
I tried Novas in a pool and liked them. But I found they are promarily designed for flutter kick only. Not as much thrust as freediving fins but less effort also. Freediving fins also come in many flavors too, let's not forget that. Some are stiff, some are soft, plastic, fiberglass, carbon, entry level, pro grade, etc. lots of variables.
WOULD you please recommend a freediving fin that is very powerful? Fast would be nice too but power more important.

I loved my seawings until I was in a strong open ocean current going not where I wanted to go. I have over 500 dives and was very disappointed as my seawings never let me down. Does scuba pro have a fin that is stronger than the seawing nova? Are the freediving fins strong than the nova? If yes, which ones?
Old school Jet Fins.... However, the Hollis Batfin blows the Jet fin away.

Back
Top Bottom