Sealife Micro 2.0 Pro 5000 vs Olympus TG5/Sea & Sea ys-d2 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a returning diver with 15 recent dives and I'd like to ask your advice on the two finalist choices in still/video cameras I'm considering.

I'm planning on doing 25 dives in the Keys a year, plus a week diving vacation each winter somewhere more exotic and I'd like a camera to record my trips.

I have several hobbies and honestly don't think it's likely I'll be much more than a casual photographer, so a somewhat ease of use is a concern.

I like the Sealife Micro 2.0 pro 5000 for
  • Simplicity
  • No housing to worry about!
  • Buy from my dive shop and it's a complete package
  • Lights support still and video
  • Controls seem almost idiot (me) proof
  • Good quality video/average stills
I like the Olympus TG4/ Sea & Sea Strobe for
  • Versatility of camera
  • Better underwater stills
  • Housing seems high quality
  • Strobe
  • Super macro
  • Exceptional wide angle with extra lens
I realize I would have to get a video light if I end up wanting to take video deeper with the Olympus. And then there is the issue that the Sealife is $1400 and fully kitted the Olympus is over $2k.

I don't think I can make a bad choice here. I don't care about 4K video, I don't currently think I need RAW and I don't like to excessively experiment,....but I do like quality pics and I would hate to buy twice.

Thanks for any thoughts.

My current setup is a tg-4, pt-056 housing, ys-03, ys-d2 and uwl-04 lens. I'm happy with the rig, it has it's limitations but it has overall served me well. I have never used a sealife camera so I can't compare, but you mentioned ease of use and not wanting to excessively tinker so fwiw, I just put my rig together this afternoon in preparation for a dive tomorrow and it took a couple hours, granted I take my time. I changed out a few o-rings and greased, charged all the strobe batteries and camera, assembled the arms and attached the WAL and then did my usual test firings to ensure f/o cables were working, strobes firing etc.

I believe with a sealife there is less of that to worry about, just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: BCC
My current setup is a tg-4, pt-056 housing, ys-03, ys-d2 and uwl-04 lens. I'm happy with the rig, it has it's limitations but it has overall served me well. I have never used a sealife camera so I can't compare, but you mentioned ease of use and not wanting to excessively tinker so fwiw, I just put my rig together this afternoon in preparation for a dive tomorrow and it took a couple hours, granted I take my time. I changed out a few o-rings and greased, charged all the strobe batteries and camera, assembled the arms and attached the WAL and then did my usual test firings to ensure f/o cables were working, strobes firing etc.

I believe with a sealife there is less of that to worry about, just something to keep in mind.

I just ordered from backscatter the inon wide angle lens(uwl h100 28m67 type 2) Pretty interested to see how it handles Moray wide angle closeups

If all you want is happy snaps, and are willing to stay shallow, then start by just buying the TG alone. Use it a bit and then decide if you need to spend more money for housing, lights, tray, arms, lens, ...

On a recent trip one of the divers had spent a lot of money on a system, but then had no idea how to use it. Looking at their pictures or videos made me cringe since everything was greeny blue (or maybe bluey green?).

If all you want is happy snaps, and are willing to stay shallow, then start by just buying the TG alone. Use it a bit and then decide if you need to spend more money for housing, lights, tray, arms, lens, ...

On a recent trip one of the divers had spent a lot of money on a system, but then had no idea how to use it. Looking at their pictures or videos made me cringe since everything was greeny blue (or maybe bluey green?).
I won't be staying too shallow. If I get the TG, it would be with the housing. At that point, both cameras could go deeper than me.

I hope to do more than happy snaps. My diving skills are returning nicely. I find I spend most of recent dives barely moving and examining the reefs and marine life close up. I would like to be able to record what I see in a way that communicates well the beauty of what I see. And while I very much admire those with highly developed creative skills with cameras, I'm realistic enough to understand those skills will take more time than I have available, because of job, family and other time commitments. Perhaps I am being unrealistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom