Seaskin Nova Suit with Extra Thick Undergarments option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rafiqd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm buying a Seaskin Nova drysuit and trying to figure out if the undergarments i'm using are considered "bulky", and if the option to add additional spacing is necessary.

Right now I'm using a Fourth Element Halo AR + Xcore Vest + 150 merino baselayer, and diving in the Pacific North West with waters around 7-9c. I'm quite comfortable in this setup warmth wise, but when i see what i'm wearing compared to others at dive sites, I feel like mine looks bulkier. But I've never used another set of undergarments, minus the rental I was using before purchasing my own, so I don't have a reference on what other undergarments feel like in terms of thickness.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has a Seaskin Nova suit and uses the Halo AR undergarments, what options they choose, and how the fit of the suit is.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has a Seaskin Nova suit and uses the Halo AR undergarments, what options they choose, and how the fit of the suit is.
You're describing me. I dive a Seaskin Nova with a Halo AR and a baselayer. Most recently, I've tried a "Rocky" brand 250-gram baselayer, but I've also used a Smartwool merino set of long johns. I'm also considering using the Smartwool baselayer with a Light Monkey heated shirt.

I ordered my Seaskin Nova with standard sizing. That sizing fits well with the Halo AR and the thicker synthetic baselayer, but I find that the thinner wool baselayer feels better, particularly on the legs. I think my preferred mix right now is the 250-gram synthetic top plus the Smartwool pants. If I add the heated shirt, I'm for-sure going to use the Smartwool top underneath it.

In summary, I'm satisfied with the standard sizing, but if I were to reorder right now, I'd specify the room for bulky undergarments. And if I were you, I'd do the same.

If your intent is to use bulky undergarments (250+) I would suggesting asking for extra room. If anything, at least 50% of whatever their extra room selection is. Or opt to increase your body measurements a touch, like 5cm chest and hips, 2cm thigh and calf.

I just received my Seaskin Nova and undergarments and during an initial test fit, the 250 barely slipped in and made the suit too restrictive. The Seaskin 150 thinsulate layer worked ok, just. I'll try the 250 again after breaking in the suit and trying to lose a few more pounds, but think having an 1" extra all round would have been nice to start with. Dieting won't help the leg room issue.

One would hope that if you ordered a 250 layer, you are heading to cold water and they'd clue in you need a bit more room to fit the extra thick stuff. As it is, my new Nova fits like a tailored suit.

I dive cold water with Halo 3D. I got the extra room and couldn't imagine the suit without it. My buddy does not have it and wishes he did.

I'm buying a Seaskin Nova drysuit and trying to figure out if the undergarments i'm using are considered "bulky", and if the option to add additional spacing is necessary.
I ordered mine in regular sizing and it is pretty close fitting. Quite the dance to get out of it on my own. Great in the water though. If I had to do it again I would probably get the extra room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom