Seaweed... oh, 'scuse me, sea vegetables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
As a vegetarian, I have no use for underwater hunting in the usual sense; however, I do harvest and use edible sea vegetables. In Washington State, this is a popular enough activity that it is a regulated fishery, with licenses, bag limits, and closures. As I am not (yet?) a diver, I am limited to those occurring in the intertidal zone, or that wash up on the beach; but I know there are many more found only subtidally, including the most useful kelps. I am posting this hoping there are other sea vegetable pickers here, who can offer perspectives on pursuing these resources underwater, through diving.

..... I do harvest......

Just curious, but what does a wholesaler pay for a pound of your type of sea weed? I've seen lionfish in retail stores going for upwards of $20 a pound.

That's a good question, Johnoly. I don't know the answer because I haven't done it commercially. I dry and store it for my own use. In the Puget Sound region is mainly laver (a.k.a. nori) and sea lettuce, and when I go to the ocean beaches, I find dulse and kelp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom