Secrets to hand warmth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use the 7mm 3 finger mitts and put underneath them very thin polypropylene gloves. I find it makes a difference in the water and also on land before and after the dive.

I swapped out my standard 5mm gloves for some real tight 3mm gloves. Now I'm warmer and I have more dexterity.

5mm gauntlet gloves and warm arms.

7mm is about all you want on your arms so if it fits right you're good there.

Gauntlet gloves help in 2 ways, First, you get a major overlap to limit water exchange. Second, you have a lot more rubber over your wrists where the blood floes near the surface.

Don't go too tight on the fit. I like a little water volume in the palm. This lets you pump palm warmed water and exchange finger water by flexing your hands. Also remember to work your hands some. I have found myself enjoying a placid cold water dive then have cold fingers sneak up on my. A little flexing does wonders.

Pete

check out 4th Element's wet gloves (they also make Dry Gloves - most are familiar with those).

Back
Top Bottom