Securing Items In Drysuit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been drysuit certified for a couple years but just bought my first drysuit. It is fusion bullet with replaceable slt seal kit. I love it. Fits great without custom suit.

I'm working on figuring out my favorite config and looking for some ideas. I'm having trouble when accessing pockets that things fall out. There is a small loop in the pocket but it is short. When accessing with heavy gloves or drygloves dexterity can be poor.

I'm planning on right pocket being for SMB, finger spool, and dive plan.

I have been drysuit certified for a couple years but just bought my first drysuit. It is fusion bullet with replaceable slt seal kit. I love it. Fits great without custom suit.

I'm working on figuring out my favorite config and looking for some ideas. I'm having trouble when accessing pockets that things fall out. There is a small loop in the pocket but it is short. When accessing with heavy gloves or drygloves dexterity can be poor.

Put a long loop of bungee cord through the short loop. Get a handful of double-ender clips and one end goes around the longer loop, the other through whatever you have in the pocket.

When it comes time to get to whatever is in you pocket, pull the entire long loop out and pick what you need. Stuff the rest back in the pocket when you're done

Put a long loop of bungee cord through the short loop. Get a handful of double-ender clips and one end goes around the longer loop, the other through whatever you have in the pocket.

When it comes time to get to whatever is in you pocket, pull the entire long loop out and pick what you need. Stuff the rest back in the pocket when you're done
Exactly how I do it, except the pockets on my suit already had a long enough loop. I use regular bolt snaps instead of double-enders most of the time.

Since it's inside a pocket, that covers the entanglement risk if you wanted to use carbiners (aka suicide clips) to help with the dry glove issue.

It is slightly easier to manipulate the bungee (meaning to release clips from it and attach clips to it) even in poor light if the bungee is very visible, canary yellow, blaze orange, etc.

If the loop sewn into the pocket is too short, simply extend it. As you note, and several have said, this can be done with a loop of bungee cord. Or, you can get some additional soft braided static line, just like what you probably have in the pocket now, and attach a loop of that to you existing loop. My halcyon pockets have two 6.5" loops, sewen right at the top of the pocket, so they are easily accessible for me. Don't know what pockets you have so it is hard to compare..

I personally use double-enders for attaching objects to the loops in my pockets. Nothing wrong with bolt snaps, either. I like DEs simply because \they are versatile, and have many uses (other than attaching my spools, back-up cutting devices, etc.). I also find I can manipulate the DEs with the gloves I usually wear (5mm or - usually - less).

What you put, where, is a matter of personal preference. I always put my wet notes and any slates in my right pocket, my spool(s), back-up cutting devices, small back-up lights, etc on the left (bellows pocket). I generally do not put a SMB in a pocket, preferring instead to put it in some bungee loops on my BP. But, the choice is yours.

Bungee loop is the way to go, just pull the loop out, grab what you need and stuff it back in.

Back
Top Bottom