Semi-live Trip Report Gc May 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
We arrived Saturday, flying Delta out of Greensboro via Atlanta. I am happy to report flight was smooth, on time and uneventful. We found transit throught the GC airport very easy and was soon at the Avis counter to pick up our rental. It was just a two minute walk from the terminal. I have to say that the agent at Avis was the most pleasant rental car employee that I have ever met! So far off to a great vacation.

Frinding our way from the airport plus driving on the wrong side of the road was a little challenging at first. I knew we needed to head south and east and that there were not that many main roads so I pulled out the map, opened my compass app and it worked. Only one misstep on our way to Turtle Nest Inn and we realized it immediately.

Turtle Nest Inn. Everything we expected. Small, very personal resort with a wonderful owner that really wants you to feel comfortable and welcome. Meticulously maintained. Obvious attention to detail. Staff unobtrusive but very friendly. We rented a one bedroom apartment. Room clean, plenty of room for two and a gorgeous view. Quiet. Grill at poolside for guests. Perfect location in Bodden Town to stage trips both west and east.

image.jpeg

Woke up early Sunday for a 2 tank am trip with Ocean Frontiers. Calm seas and only a small breeze. Water temp 82. Dove the Maze and Playing Fields. I have to admit I was very disappointed. Viz was ok but I wasn't too impressed with the dive sites. Worried about the rest of the week. For lunch we had the fish fry at Eastern Star, sitting on their picnic tables on the beach. Liked the relaxed atmosphere and eating on the beach but the fish was cooked a bit too much for our taste.

Wind and waves picked up the next day but my worry about the dive sites was gone after Monday's two dives, Kangaroo Gorge that started with a swim through to 107 + feet then a float along the wall for about 15 minutes before going shallower. Loved that dive. Next was Ironshores Garden. Very nice dives. That afternoon we walked the Botanical Gardens which I probably enjoyed more then Eric and then drove out to Rum Point, had a cocktail and watched the sunset from the dock. Considered the buffet dinner there but decided to save our money for dives.

Tuesday was Elmo's Wall and Little House. Best dives yet. Had an audience of 12 reef squid at the safety stop. We were late for the last tour at the Crystal Caves so did a short walk through Mastic Trail. It is 2 miles out then back. By then it was very hot and humid so we only made it half way. That night we had the dinner buffet at Compass Cove and it was good food at a good price. Today we headed around the east end and dove Split Rock and Black Rock Reef. Reefs were beautiful and looked very healthy with more marine life then our southern dives. This time it was a large group of juvenile barracuda at the SS. It was a georgeous end to our four days diving with Ocean Frontiers.

So a little about diving with OF. Would definitely do it again. The staff was wonderful and extremely safety conscious. Our guides Olivia, Rubin, Elliott and Mike were excellent. It was our first experience with concierge dive ops and I have to admit I was a little spoiled. They are very organized and extremely efficient. Gave us a crate labeled for each of us to stow our gear under the bench. I dove nitrox 80's and Eric had 100's. Not sure what to expect we brought our own analyzer but the staff came around with one and a clip board to record readings so we left ours at the apartment after the first day. Readings were 31.6 to 33.7. They even supplied Eric with a free 13 cf pony for each trip, rigged and ready to go.

First dives were typically dives 90 to 100 feet the first 15 minutes or so then headed shallower to 50 to 60 feet until we reached the boat again at around 35 minutes into the dive. The guide would signal boat then head up. We were left to then finish out our dive however we liked, only limit was gas and NDL. Total time on the first dive was 50 to 60 minutes. We also had the option to dive as buddy groups from the start but we all elected to go with the guide since we had no prior experience with these sites. On the deeper dives the boat drops a hang line. Both dives have a regulator for OOA divers. Never saw it used.

Second dive averaged 50 feet. Again we would start as a guided dive then finish on our on. Most of these dives were around 70 minutes. Could have stayed a little longer but we knew the boat was waiting.

We were on the Eastern Sky for all our trips. Never crowded, they don't fill to capacity. Two quides each trip, split the group into two. I think it was air vs nitrox that determined which group you were in. Don't know if typical of their clientele but the group each day seemed very experienced, friendly and considerate.

Tomorrow my conference begins, a necessary evil to help pay the bills, so mornings are a bust. But tomorrow afternoon is Divetech and the Kittiwake then a reef. Looking forward to checking out the other end of the island.

Last edited:
AhHaHa. I knew that was coming! I hate the Gopro app so no pictures till I get home and sort through them. Then you will regret asking!

Very nice review. The description of what depth/time profiles dives 1 & 2 tended to run is quite helpful, as was the note 100 cf tanks were available. Many people would benefit from the larger tank with those 1st dive parameters. Did you find diving nitrox extended your NDL's on 2-tank dive days enough to justify whatever the cost was?

I ask because in other threads it's been pointed out Grand Cayman diving tends to be a bit expensive, although IIRC both Ocean Frontiers and Dive Tech can potentially put a person on a 2-tank morning then a 2-tank afternoon boat for 4 dives/day.

Richard.

Hi Richard. Yes Grand Cayman is just plan expensive. Period. Diving included and you do pay up for nitrox. It helps if you dive enough to qualify for a package deal. We did with Ocean Frontiers.

I dive very conservatively so yes. Nitrox is a must for me, even on these dives. And yes, with both ops there is the potential of 4 dives in a day. I think about half the boat dove air but I wasn't with them so not sure they did the same profiles. My guess is they did but maybe went shallower a little sooner on that first dive. I think absolutely nitrox made a difference the first dive but less so the second. But to me, considering how much the whole trip is costing, a little more for nitrox in the tank so less in my body is worth the extra cost.

If you are still there on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday try the fish fry at the Grapetree Café; it's only steps away from TNI. The food is great and you can either bring it back to the inn or eat at the picnic tables on the beach, but they are only open on the weekends. If you can't decide what to order the ladies will give you samples to try.

Grape Tree Cafe, Bodden Town

Thanks for the report! I'm bringing a group to dive with Ocean Frontiers in mid July, so it's great to hear about your experience there.

great report....thanks for sharing.

Glad you're enjoying Turtle Nest Inn take a look at the condos for future consideration especially if you come back down with more people.

If you get the chance snorkel behind the Inn/Condos you will be amazed at the Marine life there.

thnx for sharing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom