Serious Dive Accident Cozumel June 21, 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Anthony

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today I heard that there was a serious dive accident yesterday off Cozumel Island. I was told that a diver made a giant stride and was sucked into a moving prop on the boat after hitting the water. I was not on the boat but was talking to some other divers.

Can someone tell us if this really happened?

Last edited:
Hope she has the good fortune of retaining both her legs.

Some rumors on FB that she was killed, but those are disputed. It seems she was seriously injured, but is stable at the hospital.

I found this automatic translation on the Cozumel police FB page...
An accident on the brink of tragedy happened in the area south of the island. A diving instructor of nationality Argentina runs the risk of losing both her legs after being propelada by the boat where I taught to dive to his friends.
The facts are reported to 066 around 08:10 hours of the morning and went to the height of the mile marker 16.6 in a private dock where called for an ambulance as a tourist from 30 years of age had been injured Of the two legs to be pulled by the propellers of a boat.
Immediately went paramedics in the ambulance, 06 of the cmc and after providing first aid, the wife of Argentine nationality was taken in a serious condition to the area of the er in the same hospital.
The police authorities did not allow them access by the security agents of the private dock, but they got that they will provide the information to rule out any serious crime, everything points to the fact that the woman is a diving instructor and plunged into the water, before it gets Stop the engine of the vessel "Kutch to God" to the command of Captain Miguel C, so it was propelada of the legs.
The police authorities were unable to enter the place, just identified the woman as jazmin g. 30 years and remains in delicate state with possible fracture in both legs into the interior of the private hospital located in the first street south with 50 Avenue of the colony Adolfo López Mateos.

Last edited:
Any idea what operation? We have dove with several and have always felt like every DM was a friend before the day was over. As a practical matter, do dive masters have insurance to cover injuries like this? If not has a fund been set up to help cover medical and living expenses during recovery?

Prayers sent for complete and speedy recovery.
Jay

Any idea what operation? We have dove with several and have always felt like every DM was a friend before the day was over. As a practical matter, do dive masters have insurance to cover injuries like this? If not has a fund been set up to help cover medical and living expenses during recovery?

Prayers sent for complete and speedy recovery.
Jay

She is a DM/Instructor Intern through Divemaster Internship dive school - prayers to everyone involved.

As a practical matter, do dive masters have insurance to cover injuries like this? If not has a fund been set up to help cover medical and living expenses during recovery?

Good question. I wonder if she was working on or off the books?

We were on our resort when they pulled up with her. Very sad situation.

Back
Top Bottom