Service gurus - silicone lube between 2nd stage diaphragm and purge button?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

I've just disassembled the 2nd stages of my fairly new regs for the first time since purchase to perform a more thorough end-of-year clean and I noticed that the R195 Octo has grease between the purge button and diaphragm, whereas the S620Ti does not.

After the bits and pieces have dried, would it make sense to put some grease on the contact point between diaphragm and purge button on both regs, or will this only serve to attract debris? I'd just use regular silicone lube since it's on the outside of the diaphragm and the regs are only used with banked Nitrox. Just unsure whether I should reassemble it all bone dry or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't; and you're right, it will simply attract debris; and none of my manuals call for that treatment of either the purge button or diaphragm . . .

it will simply attract debris; and none of my manuals call for that treatment of either the purge button or diaphragm . . .
...and the diaphragm is made of silicone. Never put silicone grease on a component made of silicone as the component will absorb the grease and will distort.

It may be a little bit of grease from where the button slides thru the front cover on the R195. The S620 has a flexible cover for a purge button instead. You could grease up the area where the button slides if you wanted, but keep the grease off the actual diaphragm itself.

Leave it clean. No need to attract dirt as others have noted.

It may be a little bit of grease from where the button slides thru the front cover on the R195. The S620 has a flexible cover for a purge button instead. You could grease up the area where the button slides if you wanted, but keep the grease off the actual diaphragm itself.

Yes, I've seen it before on G260s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom