Sevylor Diveyak XK2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worry, Nemrod. All is well, these couple days is going to have good diving condition up here. Hope the same for you. Thanks for all the valuable info about kayak you share with us. The weather is so good I decide to go diving today. Have a great weekend!

Nemrod:
Oh sorry---the statement I was asking about----"(exluding North Monestery -- which I wouldn't touch with a kayak". Sorry, got confused. Good luck. N

No problem. The entry/exit surf zone is a killer (literally). Soft sand and high angle beach (>35%) means the wave breaks into the beach (picture the way a wave breaks at against a breakwater). It is bad enough getting in and out with dive gear, adding a kayak would be suicidal.

This thread explains better than I can.. Dive accident

But on calm days, this is one of the best dives in the world. If you are curious, do a search on Monastery Beach here on Scubaboard.

Rob

Thanks Rob, marking that place down in my book for a future--non--kayak dive! N

I don't mind having the Sevylor 2020 with 3.5hp motor. On a day that I don't feel like paddling a kayak, I will take it out and just motor to dive spots. It looks like it can carry 2 person with dive gear in it.

I decided on OK Scupper pro TW for now as I also enjoy kayaking.

I'll still keep the option open to buy the Sevylor 2020. Here the benefits I see.

1. It can deflate and stow away in my van and a little corner in the garage.

2. No need a trailer like the zodiac or small boats. I can put it on top of the car rack inflated, or inflate it when I get to the beach.

3. It is much smaller, so much easier to wash and clean than a zodiac or a small boat.

4. I can launch anywhere from a beach, zodiac and a boat usually need a launch ramp.

It will definitely reduce the workloard compared to that of maintaining a boat or a zodiac. The will greatly increase my enjoyment from diving!

Justin, whatever that "Extractor" is I think they have been breathing bad air!!!

Fishandchips, I have owned several inflatibles. They can roll up in a van, can launch right from the beach. Mine have landing gear which attach to the transom and flip up and down. Easier to launch than you might think and my Novurania will run 40 plus MPH with a 35 on her. It takes two people about 40 minutes to rig it out or do what I eventually did which was keep it partially inflated and assembled on a small trailer. Once to the beach, flip the landing gear down, finish rigging the boat, pull the boat of the trailer and load it with gear and then roll it on the landing gear right into the water. Inflatables and kayaks have much the same benefits, freedom from long surface swims, increased range and access to dive sites, increased safety, speed, flexibility. Rigging them out is surprisingly similar and the way they are used to. I tow my Novurania just the same way I do my yak. The Whaler must be anchored or leave someone on board to tend it, it is simply to large to tow (by a diver).
You can make a suitable launching cradle for your yak from pvc pipe and wheelbarrow ballon tires. I have not tried it but I think I could build a yak trailer I could tow short distances with my mountain bike!!!! but loaded with all the scuba gear I am not sure. Nemrod

Hi All!
We are heading down to Ft Laurderdale, this Jan05. Been diving there three times before.We are from Iowa , Anyway we have done a lot of shorediving there, big surf, little surf, every day while down there ( 25 hours of bottom time for a 2 week spell) Would like to try a DiveYak . I will buy one, if I like it . But where do we Look to see one in Stock in the Ft Laud area? I have seen the 20/20 for as low as $530, but would pay a little more in in stock.
Jeff

How fast does the Diveyak XK2020 deflate. Or is it a pain to get it totaly flat. Sounds like it inflates pretty fast. Also has anyone put more than the 600 pounds in it, or what to do to carry more weight (stuff) in it?
Thanks
Jeff.

I have used an OK scrambler xt for scuba and free diving and found it to be very stable in quiet as well as a bit rougher water. I think you will want something that is both stable as well as indestructable. You can lose a OK off the roof of your car and ugly it up a bit but you likely wont hurt it too badly, any way mine lived through the experiance. I have to admit that it was the only one that I have any experiance with so I cant speek to any other models. I did find it a bit large to surf with any degree of success.
Bill

Nemrod,
I've been told at a shop that Zodiac actually owns Sevylor now, and it is their zodiac off-shoot material, pretty bulletproof. (although it comes with a patch kit?) I think the open back is for a motor mount you can attach, and put the little 3.5hp outboard (which no one so far can tell me how to get or what it costs). Then of course, there was that article some time back about the guy whose hardshell got the shark bite instead of him...I do want that inflatable, and maybe I'll learn topatch really fast too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom