Shallowest dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking about a somewhat shallow dive as well.

I'm thinking about a somewhat shallow dive as well.

Dude/Dudette you're really poking around in the boxes behind the furnace in the SB basement to find these 5-10yr old threads, aren't you?

I already have several ex-girlfriends who will testify to my inherent shallowness. Probably already qualify as a ' Master Shallow Diver.' I'm skipping the puddles and heading straight to a Denver Holiday Inn jacuzzi to earn my 'high altitude extremely shallow' dive rating.

Here in Colorado there are local clubs and shops that do hig altitude diving regularly. Turquoise lake, at an elevation of well over 10,000 feet is perhaps the most popular. There are higher lakes here, but Turquoise offers a "real" dive. Good viz, depths to and beyond recreational limits if you wish, fish life, rock formations. It's also a beautiful spot, nice camping and other facilities. It's outside Leadville, Colorado, which is the highest altitude incorporated city in the US. If you are going to do high altitude lake diving, it should certainly be on your list.
DivemasterDennis

I dunno about all this high altitude stuff, but my favorite dive profile this time of year rarely exceeds 15 feet ... and that's at high tide. I did a 74 minute dive last week that averaged 7.3 feet ... found this little fellow in 3 feet of water ...

10547012_384247718422259_33245842085810884_o.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Crater Lake at Crater Lake National Park in Oregon is a beautiful high altitude dive. I've hiked in and out of it a number of times and have decided not to dive it myself, but I know those that have.

Clear Lake, outside of Sisters, Oregon is another high altitude dive in the Oregon Cascade Mountains. One does need to be careful about setting your computer (or high altitude calculations on your tables). I do this dive every year in a 7 mm wetsuit, but almost everyone else is diving in their drysuit.

Dove Clear Lake last summer. . . BORING (and not the town :D ). I guess I understand freshwater dives if that is all you have access to, but there are far better salt water sites not that much further away.

I must be missing something as I don't understand the connection between doing the shallowest dives and diving at elevation.

The shallowest dives I've ever done where when I was filming a tiny baby whitetail damsel that had found its way into our dive park as a larva. It was located right beneath the entry/exit stairs and most of my dives were no deeper than seen (7) ft and lasted an eternity. Of course it was a little interesting" since divers were crawling over me to exit the water!

Codiak, the OP, made a technical error by saying he wanted to do shallow dives as opposed to deep dives. What he really should have said was high dives instead of deep dives.

For high, or altitude, dives I've done dives in two rocky mountain regions; Banff and Jasper. The shallowest dive I think I've done was about 3-4' in a river, trying to video life among the shore grasses.
I've looked at Crater Lake for a while now but have been stymied by the fact that they don't allow solo diving. I can't convince any buddies it's worth the drive/hike. This summer I plan to hit Clear Lake as I don't think there are any such prohibitions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom