Marine Life Shark bite at Grand Bahama

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I’m stating the obvious or oblivious, but isn’t it a really bad idea to get sharks to associate humans with getting fed?!?
Agree. I believe the root cause of the bite, and subsequent amputation, was due to the nearby feeding...not anything the woman did.

However, her leaving the boat during an SI increases risk somewhat as well.

I believe I’ve posted on this thread concerning a recent dive I had with Stuart Cove’s at Nassau. There were at times five or more Reef Sharks circling around our group… not in a dangerous or aggressive manner, just curious. Just to satisfy my own curiosity and admittedly trying to get a good picture or two, I knelt down by myself in a patch of sand and let them come to me. Good pix, no harm no foul. Frogs must not be on their menu!
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0291.jpeg
    MICR0291.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 197
  • MICR0292.jpeg
    MICR0292.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 195
Cedral in the park - kinda hard to not go there. Any of the northern sleeping shark sites - some chum feed up there - we do not feed anywhere.

Kill a lion fish, very cool but leave it lay on the reef and don't sit and wait for something to eat it.

Do you remember the turtle in Columbia that used to search divers for lionfish? It's dead now, but that thing quickly learned that divers provide food.
I was snorkeling in Cozumel right off the hotel and the third day there I saw a bunch of fish eating something. I looked more closely and it was a half-eaten lion fish. Reading this, I am wondering if someone did exactly that - killed the fish and left it there for other fish to eat.

Since this thread popped up again, I'll give an update on Heidi who was the lady that lost her lower leg - she was diving back in Grand Bahama this past week!!! Had a fin attached to upper leg and dove to 90+ ft.

Awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom