Shark Bite in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....The other feed off Nassau is even further - I think it's about 200? miles south off this map. San Salvador even further - where the third feed has been occurring for decades....

San Salvador? Really? Who is doing feeding there? Riding Rock?

The one thing that worries me about not going to real medical care is infection. Shark bites are pretty dirty, and most shark bite victims have a pretty long road to full health because of the infection potential.
Well, a dentist is medically trained to an extent so he probably thinks he can self treat. Not good thinking maybe, but typical.

San Salvador? Really? Who is doing feeding there? Riding Rock?
The person who told me that was apparently wrong. Another piece of useless trivia I've carried in my head for a decade...lol.

he said felt like being hit by a truck, God, that's horrible

o.png

o.png

Saw this on facebook.

Dentist shares grisly photos from shark attack in the Bahamas

Sounds like this dude might give chuck norris a run for his money on the badass scale. Gets bit several times. Has a friend stitch him up instead of going to a hospital. Finishes his vacation.

I'm not sure if spearing results in the attack being called "provoked" or not. Maybe someone can help me out there.

Beware, graphic photos of the bites at that link.

Be careful when spearing!

"Holiday from hell," "grisly photos" ... jeez. Typical Daily Mail arsewipe "journalism." As another poster stated, infection would have been the big risk - those are relatively minor wounds. Sounds like there was at least a local nurse, so hopefully she had some antibiotics to deal with the vibrio and other hidden fun stuff on those teeth.

Really curious if it was indeed a bull shark - if so, it was extremely delicate with him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was just a Caribbean reef shark that was mis-identified; it's not uncommon for a layman to mistake other carcharinids for a bull shark (especially if it's teeth are in your face). I remember about four years ago in St. Augustine a real estate guy got hit in the foot in waist-deep water and reported the attacker as a six-foot bull that also "hit him like a truck;" whatever it was clearly was only able to fit about a quarter of his foot in its mouth, which translates to a mouth maybe six inches across unless the guy was a shaved sasquatch.

Well, a dentist is medically trained to an extent so he probably thinks he can self treat. Not good thinking maybe, but typical.

He can just prescribe himself antibiotics, which is the basic reason I have to go to my doctor after an episode.

Bob

Clip from CNN, supposedly with some footage of the shark: Shark attacks freediver - CNN Video

Hard to tell, but I still think this is a Caribbean reef shark due to the body shape. Bulls are incredibly stocky; when I see that silhouette I get the impression it could swim through a brick wall. Not sure if the shark in the overhead footage is the same as the one tagging him in the face, but that's way too slender to be a bull.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom