Shark feeding dives in USA? Why not???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello -

I am curious to know if there are any states in USA that permit shark feeding dives like the ones offered in Bahamas. Also - what exactly is the reasoning behind this ban?

Thanks -

Cheers -

S-H

Florida has outlawed feedings. Some operators still have feedings by doing them outside the 3 mile limit.

I don't know about other states.

The reasoning is that feeding wild animals causes them to associate people with food.

Plus it's much more interesting to see animals in a natural way (not the reason for the ban however).

What's more interesting, seeing wild geese landing on a pond or watching someone feeding the ducks or pigeons?

It changes their behavior and makes it more like a circus.

It also makes the sharks dangerous to spearfisherman. And the last thing a hungry shark needs to see is a scared spearfsiherman.

Sharks are conditioned to approach when they hear the sound of a guns bands. Now I suspect they are getting conditioned to the lift bags sending up the catch.

The thought process is they will associate people with food. I think they will. I've been to stingray city, and the rays surround the boats waiting for their handouts. Much like sharks used to follow ships witing for the garbage to be thrown overboard.

And as was mentioned, much nicer IMO to see them in their natural state. Make the trip to Jupiter during lemon season.

I really hope that shark feeding dives don't start cropping up in the U.S. as I think it will just be a matter of time before something happens, as it has with all wild animals who have associated humans with food. I live in the Rocky Mountains and the slogan is "A fed bear is a dead bear." since when it inevitably attacks, it is shot on site and I would hate to see the same happen to sharks.

Florida has outlawed feedings. Some operators still have feedings by doing them outside the 3 mile limit.

I'm guessing the boat I was on doing that "didn't get the memo". oh well....

what is defined as "feeding"?

any device that puts fishscraps/food in the water for sharks? (like a 8" pipe with 3-4" holes in it). chumming? or pulling fish out of a milkcrate like they do at Stuart Coves?

mike_s:
I'm guessing the boat I was on doing that "didn't get the memo".

What boat? If it was in the Keys, it was almost guaranteed to be outside the 3 mile limit.

mike_s:
what is defined as "feeding"?

any device that puts fishscraps/food in the water for sharks? (like a 8" pipe with 3-4" holes in it). chumming? or pulling fish out of a milkcrate like they do at Stuart Coves?

I believe Florida law prohibits all of those when divers are in the water. You can chum if you are fishing.

What boat? If it was in the Keys, it was almost guaranteed to be outside the 3 mile limit.

I believe Florida law prohibits all of those when divers are in the water. You can chum if you are fishing.

Gulf Stream Eagle and at Looe Key. I don't think Looe Key is outside the 3 mile limit. but I might be wrong.

I have pics of their "feeding tube" in the water. i think some with the sharks biting it.

basically they had an 8" PVC pipe that was I think about 6' long. it has a screw top on one end and a cap on the other. hangs on an eyebolt. all along the body it's got about 3" or 4" holes in it.

the fill it with fish guts and fish heads and throw it in the water and hang it on a line. the bobbing motion of the boat cause it to go up/down, which sheds particles or chunks of fish.

it quickly attracted 3 sharks, which knawed on the tube and the contents and circled the group of divers continously.

I thought nothing of it at the time because I had no clue it was illegal.

here are the pics of the tube and one of the sharks that visited.

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom