Sharks and Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant see any issue really. Plenty of places around the world do shark feeding and there aren't any real incidents as a result of it.
That said i'm utterly against any changing natural behaviour of animals by feeding but the Caymans already have stingray city which is pretty much the same thing so adding another attraction like that wont matter much.
The govt has already decided its quite happy feeding marine life for money with SRC so an east end shark feed doesn't seem too much of a stretch.

How do you know there aren't any real incidents? I recall a recent report that sharks and eels in the Caymans are starting to become really bold and aggressive toward divers because divers are spearing Lionfish, but instead of keeping them they're feeding them to sharks.

Edit: Here's the article and the discussion.

When Danger Approaches | Cayman Islands Diving | iDive Blog

The Unintended Consequences of Hunting Lionfish

This sharks behavior certainly appeared like it had been fed before. I'm not a shark expert, but I do spearfish and most of the research I've done suggests this shark had been fed. No investigating to determine if the feeding opportunity was worth possible injury. It was also hell bent on separating the diver from the container. That to me doesn't look natural, especially considering there was a free floating fish which would have been an initial easy snack. Finally, It wasn't the least bit scared of the diver despite several pokes.

Last edited:
How do you know there aren't any real incidents? I recall a recent report that sharks and eels in the Caymans are starting to become really bold and aggressive toward divers because divers are spearing Lionfish, but instead of keeping them they're feeding them to sharks.

Which is illegal.....

There are shark feeding outfits in many places around the world, some on an industrial scale but im not aware of, nor can i find a single incident of attack issues related to these practices.

There is no doubt it changes the natural behaviour of the animal - stingray city is identical. Thats why i strongly disapprove of both whoever nothing suggests its dangerous to 3rd parties.

Feeding of lionfish to marine life as well as being illegal is different and has in many areas made animals look at divers as food and has created incidents which is why its banned and why its annoying to see that ban constantly ignored.

Just look at the ubiquitous Snapper that follow around divers on the wall and even take people to Lionfish in the expectation of a meal. Thats hardly natural!

Hello All,

I am taking a trip to Grand Cayman but I am terribly afraid of sharks. Should I be?

I have seen these shows on tv. They have got me scared beyond belief.

What is the real deal with sharks and Grand Cayman? Have there been any shark attacks there ever? Should I be worried?

What if I were to div eeveryday? Anything to worry about.

I am not looking to feed sharks....I just do not know what to expect on my daily dives.

A little worried.

John

Leaving GC today after 2 1/2 weeks on island.
Seen nurse shark on about half the dives and a reef shark on one dive, usually if we've seen one, we've seen two. We were culling Lionfish which made them more than usually interested in us. On two occasions they've tried to steal the fish from the container..both times successfully snatching one. The ones we saw were friendly, inquisitive and were happy to bump into us playfully. Got some awesome pictures!!! If you're not hunting and don't have food, they'll swim around peacefully. Just don't do anything to scare them.keep calm and enjoy the experience.

Which is illegal.....

There are shark feeding outfits in many places around the world, some on an industrial scale but im not aware of, nor can i find a single incident of attack issues related to these practices.

There is no doubt it changes the natural behaviour of the animal - stingray city is identical. Thats why i strongly disapprove of both whoever nothing suggests its dangerous to 3rd parties.

Feeding of lionfish to marine life as well as being illegal is different and has in many areas made animals look at divers as food and has created incidents which is why its banned and why its annoying to see that ban constantly ignored.

Just look at the ubiquitous Snapper that follow around divers on the wall and even take people to Lionfish in the expectation of a meal. Thats hardly natural!

100% agree. I initially dived with Living the Dream who told me the rules were that they SHOULD feed Lionfish catch to snapper/eel. I then dived with Divetech (and underwent their sanctioned course) who made it clear that all caught Lionfish are to be removed. Unfortunately, I think LTD are not the only ones. Maybe time to name and shame!

Hello All,

I am taking a trip to Grand Cayman but I am terribly afraid of sharks. Should I be?

I have seen these shows on tv. They have got me scared beyond belief.
That post was so 13 years ago...:)

Back
Top Bottom