Sharks & monthly period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha,
You definitely have my attention... as if I didn't have enough motivation to be at DEMA already... until then, @>---;-----

Mario :D

Mario,
I do believe we're flirting on these boards.:1st: Be careful, Aunt Gertrude could be watching! LoL

Based on the replies to the subject:

1. Sharks are more interested on the blood of the fish.
2. If there is no blood of fish around, sharks do get interested in human blood, in this case: old blood of monthly menstruation.

LOL...guess I will stick to my old way: no dive during monthly period.

Ray

I just can't wait for DEMA! I gotta go start packing now!

P.S. I'll be the one next to the guy with the Leopard Print Suit... by the way where has Don been hiding these days?

Mario :D

Ray wrote: "2. If there is no blood of fish around, sharks do get interested in human blood, in this case: old blood of monthly menstruation.
LOL...guess I will stick to my old way: no dive during monthly period."
--------------------
You apparently never read my post so it's your loss. You CAN dive during your monthly period with NO problems whatsoever. I've been diving for 10+ years & NEVER cancelled a dive due to the fact that I was having my period.

I haven't been diving long and have never dived with sharks but there's no evidence at all for them being attracted to period blood. The very idea seems to me a bit sensationalist, like something the press would latch onto because they think it'll grab peoples' attention.
After all, the blood is not floating around in the water (hopefully). I know sharks can smell blood a long way off but if this was even an issue I think there'd be a bit more evidence.

I have dove both with and without periods....thank God as I age (no pun intended), the periods become fewer and fewer!! Never had a concern about sharks. However, if you are concerned, pop on a drysuit...then it is not an issue at all. You can pick up very light drysuits for diving in warmer waters.

aging ages!!

Not beating a dead horse however, I've never had any problems while diving & on my period! Tampons are the most comfortable for me in the sea & on land.
And I don't know about you, but if a shark (or any other living creature) thought of messing with me on the first day of my mense...well, THAT would get very ugly! We'd need the vast array of concoctions found in Mario's kit or Natasha's GI Joe lunchbox to fix him.

This is certainly a fascinating topic.... I am new to diving and have been wondering about it myself. I actually had my period the day I was certified, and while I knew there weren't any sharks around, I had to wonder about it. I guess it is true though that blood does not actually come out while you're down there, whether you're using a tampon or not, so surely that says something.

I'm interested to see what else comes up in this discussion. (and both Mario's and Natasha's kits/lunch boxes sound amazing... :) )

This sounds a lot like the debate with grizzlies- and they don't seem to preferentially attack menstruating women, either. I suspect it's just spread around by a few manly men who would like to keep us little women home and safe.

But, anatomically speaking, I doubt very much that menstrual blood gets in the water if a female is wearing a fresh, properly-sized tampon. The vagina is watertight (unless the water is forced in, as in water skiing- ick). Water doesn't get up there to wash the blood out. That is why tampons don't expand when the wearer is in the bathtub or under the sea.

Also, for convenience's sake, if you are taking the Pill, ask your gynecologist how to manipulate the placebo week to avoid having your period when you plan to dive. (Unless you dive all the time, in which case you have no reason to whine, you lucky devil).

Back
Top Bottom