Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remora click-lock strap kits? :D
Missed that. Looks quite similar to the Garmin Quickfit system. If so, it's pretty slick. If the band width and lug size on the Teric is the same as the Tern, it might also work on the Teric.

Also, one other difference that might be significant. Terns have "Toughened Glass" while the Teric has "Sapphire." So, the Tern might be a bit less resistant to scratches on the face. No clue if that will actually have an effect in the real world, though.

I used the Tern TX twice last week. Once on a night river dive that lasted 45 minutes. I was glad that I sprung for the TX because being able to mark a coordinate heading on the compass helped keep me on track, as it was very easy to get pushed to the sides or change direction without realizing it. Battery life after this, with the screen brightness on high showed almost fully charged on the battery logo.

My second dive was in a lake, and we went down to 70 feet. That dive lasted for 25 minutes and once again, the battery still showed a full charge after the dive in the ~58 degree water. I had gone ahead and placed the computer on the charger for a couple of hours the day before, as my goal wasn't to test the battery. Sharing this so that hopefully it's useful. The Teric was out of my price range, but after the night/drift dive, I think splurging for the TX over the normal Tern is worth it for the compass alone. (I also don't have the transmitter for the AI... yet)
*edited to reflect heading vs coordinate

I was glad that I sprung for the TX because being able to mark a coordinate on the compass helped keep me on track, as it was very easy to get pushed to the sides or change direction without realizing it.
Just for clarification to those that may read this later. I think you meant to say you marked a bearing or heading. You can't mark coordinates with the Tern TX or any dive computer.

Good to see that you like the Tern TX. I have been hoping for a Peregrine with AI for my daughters, but might look at the Tern TX coming soon. They already have the transmitters for their Oceanics.

Just for clarification to those that may read this later. I think you meant to say you marked a bearing or heading. You can't mark coordinates with the Tern TX or any dive computer.

Good to see that you like the Tern TX. I have been hoping for a Peregrine with AI for my daughters, but might look at the Tern TX coming soon. They already have the transmitters for their Oceanics.
Yes, sorry, you are correct. I should have taken more time to think that out out properly. I marked a heading.

Some dive computers have built-in GPS. On those you can mark coordinates. (As long as you’re on the surface)

Some dive computers have built-in GPS. On those you can mark coordinates. (As long as you’re on the surface)
Yes. That's true. I was absolutely thinking during the dive. But, you are correct. I have one of them that does allow that.

Back
Top Bottom