Sherwood SR-1 Free Flows at Cold Water Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were at the pool last night doing a "Discover Scuba" for the 4H group. While giving some instuction one of the SR1's that we were using started to freeflow (while standing in 4 ft of water) and the only way to stop it was to shut down the tank. The pool was about 80 degrees F so cold water had nothing to do with it. I may be wrong but I suspect the free floating orifice in the second stage may be causing most of the freeflow issues. If I am right the "fix" would be rather costly to Sherwood as they would have to replace the air barrel and orifice to allow for a threaded orifice. This issue has been ongoing for a couple of years now and it seems to me that should have been plenty of time to find a "fix".

So this thread has me very concerned... I heard the SR1 was a great regulator, so I purchased a used one from an LDS in San Diego... this will be my first regulator, and i'm very new to diving (~12 dives)...

Have there been any updates to this issue, or completely unresolved from the past two years? Reading through the posts, the customer service situation seems to be absolutely absurd...

---------- Post Merged at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Also, what would be interesting to know is if these free flow issues are more common with Yoke or DIN... i purchased a DIN...

I would love to say this had a happy ending for Sherwood, but I had no satisfaction from lds or Sherwood. Apeks regs are #1 imho. I have moved more into technical and cave diving and needed more reliability. I have 5 DS4 now and have 2 Hollis DC1 for sidemount. NOT 1 single issue! With any of them. My 1st instructor had the SR-1 also and I believe he his still using his.

Be Safe
Mark

Just read the threads. Sherwood has a problem with the sr1 and won't service it well or live up to there promises. If Sherwood would have refunded me like they said to me and my dive shop (still can!!) I would have a lot more respect and then be able to say how they handled it professionally. All I can say is I've moved on from Sherwood and hope everyone else does. My first reg was a great Blizzard and I dove a Avid for years. But it's not the same company and the Sr1 has serious issues.

I quite agree! Kramer- Decker is the repair shop. I received 2 "repaired" regs. Both had the same problems

Just read the threads. Sherwood has a problem with the sr1 and won't service it well or live up to there promises. If Sherwood would have refunded me like they said to me and my dive shop (still can!!) I would have a lot more respect and then be able to say how they handled it professionally. All I can say is I've moved on from Sherwood and hope everyone else does. My first reg was a great Blizzard and I dove a Avid for years. But it's not the same company and the Sr1 has serious issues.

I'm really sorry to hear this continuing problem with Sherwood. The Rep here at SB has tried to help, but I'm sure that his boss/Sherwood just won't openly admit the problem. I believe that a recall is in order. I don't know what Government agency to contact, but this is life support stuff and Sherwood is not owning up to its responsibility.

Just out of curiosity, is the SR-1 still in production because I noticed that it's still listed on Sherwood's site? Also, where are the serial numbers found? I got mine through mail order from scuba.com and don't seem to see a serial number anywhere.

My understanding is that they are about to come out with a new model if they have not already...

We are sorry to hear about your free flow issues. We have hundreds of SR1's being used in these conditions with no problems at all. Just the opposite, divers are very impressed with the performance in these conditions as highlighted by Whalesharker above . The free flow situations mentioned above do not occur at a specific temperature or depth. It is not the equipment, it is the adjustment and tuning. All high performance regulators can free flow in these conditions if not adjusted correctly.The SR1 should not be free flowing at these depths or in these temperatures. The free flow is due to tuning or adjustment. Please take your SR1 in to any authorized dealer for inspection and evaluation. If the local dealer cannot solve the issue, they will get it to Sherwood and we will solve it. We are confident all of the regulators above could be adjusted/tuned to where they could perform in these same conditions with zero free flows.
I have an SR1 that could have killed me due to free flows. It failed in CT waters as well as FL warm water. I will use the SR1 only off of my Kayak in less than 30 fsw and only with a pony. Anything else I use my tried and true Scubapro MK25's. Also, I'm looking to sell the Sherwood SR1, CHEAP. Buyer beware... SR1 may fail and kill you.

I also have a mk/17 and a mk/25. The 17 was replacement for SR1! I have found Apeks to be most reliable and self serviceable. I wouldn't recommend doing it without professional guidance or training. It is too bad Sherwood and my LDS have never looked to give this issue a satisfactory outcome. I know 2 people who have had SR1s,
1 failed completely the other is working. 50/50 odds are not what I accept in diving.... how about you??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom