Sherwood SR-1 Free Flows at Cold Water Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local LDS tried to get mine replaced. After the replacement was bad out of the box, the local midwest rep told my LDS and ME they would refund my $600. Guess what, still waiting and I had one of the first units. If they would live up to there part of the bargain I would shut up!! I figure the best thing I can do is prevent somebody going through what I did. Sherwood can PM me anytime to set things straight.

Going to hurt their pockets a bit to give you 600 bucks when it can be found for half that now.

My local LDS tried to get mine replaced. After the replacement was bad out of the box, the local midwest rep told my LDS and ME they would refund my $600. Guess what, still waiting and I had one of the first units. If they would live up to there part of the bargain I would shut up!! I figure the best thing I can do is prevent somebody going through what I did. Sherwood can PM me anytime to set things straight.

Yep. but this was over 2 years ago before people found out they are a piece of crap for the money and dangerous! I just hope I can help others not get ripped off like I was. Tech support was incompetent. I was really surprised at that. If Sherwood would of been a honorable company, I wouldn't be hear sharing what they did to me. I can't work like that. I loved my Sherwood Avid when I was diving it. I liked my Blizzard, my first reg, which was before Cramer Decker bought them. Trust is important, and Sherwood lost mine and a lot of others at the LDS, and our business.

Maybe if they had played safe and marketed it strictly as a warm water regulator, they wouldn't be bombarded with so much flak in various forums. I'm using it too and it's fine although the funny thing is I find my Cressi Eclipse octopus (going through the SR-1's 1st stage) easier to breathe through even at the lowest setting but it sure is noisy compared to the SR-1's 2nd stage.

Thank God I saw this posting! I saw a lot of good reviews on the SR-1 and purchased an used SR-1 on ebay and the second stage was not functional. I have no idea what was wrong with it and air wouldn't flow even with the purge button so I sent it back to the seller. I attribute this problem to it being used and was about to buy a brand new SR-1 from an online retailer at a good price, but not after reading this. I am an automotive engineer and know that one of the biggest professional no noes is admitting to flaws with a product that can lead to death. HUGE liability, so deny, deny, deny! I'm thinking it's not a coincidence that Sherwood is not making the SR-1 any longer.

We are sorry to hear about your free flow issues. We have hundreds of SR1's being used in these conditions with no problems at all. Just the opposite, divers are very impressed with the performance in these conditions as highlighted by Whalesharker above . The free flow situations mentioned above do not occur at a specific temperature or depth. It is not the equipment, it is the adjustment and tuning. All high performance regulators can free flow in these conditions if not adjusted correctly.The SR1 should not be free flowing at these depths or in these temperatures. The free flow is due to tuning or adjustment. Please take your SR1 in to any authorized dealer for inspection and evaluation. If the local dealer cannot solve the issue, they will get it to Sherwood and we will solve it. We are confident all of the regulators above could be adjusted/tuned to where they could perform in these same conditions with zero free flows.

I was diving the Arabia also in Tobermory at 104ft at 35f today, my Sherwood free flowed and I ran out of air by the time I surfaced. Really not cool, my reg is serviced regularly. Never had a problem till today. Dove after that in 30ft of water and it was ok. If I had 1500psi left, I may not have made it to the surface.
Regs are supposed to be dependable, and the guys selling them should understand our lives depend on their dependability and to ensure they are up to standards or let us know so we can choose something better.
sorry to sherwood it was my mistake the reg is a hollis 221 no idea why i said sherwood lol
all appoligies again i need get this reg checked out supposed to be a good one for cold water
funny it was working fine till i took it out of my mouth and as soon as i purged it thats when the freeflow started on the hollis reg and wouldnt stop
guess not just sherwood has cold water probs my guess is it froze open

Last edited:
Well it's been over four years since the first post. Sherwood hasn't ever come out with a fix for the SR-1 that I am aware of and they now have an SR-2 that supposedly is redesigned. I looked at the schematics for the SR-1 and the SR-2 and there are a few different parts but nothing that I feel would address the free flow issue.

Hi,
I would like to invite all the posters in this thread to contact mauriciomoreno@cramerdecker.com to issue per-case-basis issues with their SR1 regulators. It is important for us at Sherwood to understand each case to resolve it to the best of our abilities. In the past year we have been contacted directly by several SR1 owners and come with satisfactory solutions to all. A particular given problem (free-flow) can not be addressed with a simple 'cure' of fix. Each case is unique and the variables that lead to that 'free-flow' need to be studied to get to the bottom of things.

Sincerely,

Sherwood Team

Just found this thread a few weeks ago. I have sent in an e mail as requsted a weeek ago, have not heard back.

Give up with the SR.-1
I went to Apeks after my fruitless journey with my lds and Sherwood,
Had it not been my instructor urging me to use this regularly in the beginning I would've had Apeks from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom