shipwrecks at Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anything worth seeing on the Lady Dufferin? Tobermory has a few wrecks that are still not found. There were a few obstacles around that site that may be another wreck.

In the shallows (down to about 80') there's a fair bit of machinery and some deck sections. The wall is the reason most of us dive there, but there are larger hull sections down below.

I don't think that there are any unknown wrecks of any consequence there. I've had personal chats with folks that have side-scanned the area several times (an in the former head of the Marine Park, and the head of the Parks Canada UW Archeology Unit.) Over many years of diving there, I have personally tow-planed miles of bottom where wrecks allegedly lived and found lots of stuff (petrified forest, old waterfalls, the odd old outboard) but never anything of any consequence.

This thread has me really looking forward to my first Toby trip this year… A Forest City - Arabia run is one my favorite ways to spend a summer morning but as Stu says the shallower dive sites including the 'lowly Sweepstakes' make for some very nice diving especially on sunny day late in the summer when the water temperatures in the shallow water are less brisk. Tobermory is a beautiful spot above and below the water, it's also a very popular summer desination so weekend accomodations get booked up well in advance so keep that in mind when planning a trip.

I don't think that there are any unknown wrecks of any consequence there. I've had personal chats with folks that have side-scanned the area several times (an in the former head of the Marine Park, and the head of the Parks Canada UW Archeology Unit.) Over many years of diving there, I have personally tow-planed miles of bottom where wrecks allegedly lived and found lots of stuff (petrified forest, old waterfalls, the odd old outboard) but never anything of any consequence.

I was not aware that the area was covered by modern sonar since John Steele was there in the mid 80's. I have the Golden Fisher and John Walters still missing. I will knock Tobermory off the list to survey. Thanks for the info.

I was not aware that the area was covered by modern sonar since John Steele was there in the mid 80's. I have the Golden Fisher and John Walters still missing. I will knock Tobermory off the list to survey. Thanks for the info.

Parks Canada has done extensive surveying over the years and have recently released a new set of brochures showing awesome 3D illustrations of the wrecks and certain areas of the lake bottom. The date came from the more recent surveys as well as some detailed videography. I'll see if I can find a link to them...

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 01:08 PM ----------

Is there anything worth seeing on the Lady Dufferin? Tobermory has a few wrecks that are still not found. There were a few obstacles around that site that may be another wreck.

I should have added that there are various bits of wreckage and "things" all over the place. For example, there is an anchor near shore, close to the Niagara (and presumed to be from the Lady Dufferin). There is another anchor at Dunks Point, another well known one at "The Gap" which is a nice shore dive. The Scoville's anchor is out in the flats to the east of the wreck. There are numerous piles of wreckage along both sides of Cove Island, but nothing of any consequence that I'm aware of... I've searched that are extensively, and found nothing.

Looking forward to my first dives there as well this summer - whats the typical water temp for June ?

Brrrr. One day when we get drysuits we will get up to toby.

We take 7mm suits to the Caribbean in the winter...:(

Looking forward to my first dives there as well this summer - whats the typical water temp for June ?

June is not "summer" up there.... think August

Shop around me goes twice a year, mid-July, and mid-August. I'm heading up late June. Wife is diving it the first time. Should be "interesting" as she dives wet...

I have dove Tobermory in 14mm, doing 4 dives in one day with Diver's Den . I survived <g>, though my lips were cold at the end of it, cold and blue.

I LOVE diving Tobermory, but am not a deep diver, per se. The Niagara is a great dive. The caves are fun topography to dive. I really enjoy the Carolyn Rose.

The town itself is awesome too - the fish tacos at the fish & chip shop, the Sweet Shoppe, Craiggie's that was just rebuilt. Such a great place.

I have dove Tobermory in 14mm, doing 4 dives in one day with Diver's Den . I survived <g>, though my lips were cold at the end of it, cold and blue.

I LOVE diving Tobermory, but am not a deep diver, per se. The Niagara is a great dive. The caves are fun topography to dive. I really enjoy the Carolyn Rose.

The town itself is awesome too - the fish tacos at the fish & chip shop, the Sweet Shoppe, Craiggie's that was just rebuilt. Such a great place.

This thread has brought back all kinds of memories. My parents had a cottage near Stoke's Bay for years that I would use as home base for dive weeks and weekends...

Love the fish tacos...

I did lots of four dive days in a 2pc wetsuit right into November some years. The older I got, the colder it felt, though and finally bought my drysuit just as the cottage was sold. Only been up for ice diving in the harbour since the place was sold.

Will hopefully be back up this summer sometime. My daughter has started diving now, and I am looking forward to taking her to some shallower sites like the Wetmore, Caves and Tugs.

Back
Top Bottom