Shopping list - Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

introv6800

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good day everyone. Newly certified OWD and wanted to pick up some gear and continue to dive and LEARN while everything is still pretty fresh in my brain. Could you guys give this a once over and let me know your thoughts. This equipment is what I came up with after working with a DM and instructor at my local dive shop.
I already have a mask, fins, boots, and snorkel.

Dives - will be mostly in cooler/cold water seeing that I live in CT and I can literally walk across the street from my house and dive with the local shop. I will also do vacation dives every chance I get. Probably 3-4 times per year in the warmer water.

Needs - Something that will grow with me and not have to buy much to upgrade or modify.

Interests - Adventure, wrecks and a little photography (training dependent of course).

BDC - Zeagle Stiletto with octo Z reg, inflator combo.

Reg - Atomic Z3 regulator

Computer - Oceanic VEO 1.0 combo console. (I'm still up in the air about getting a dive watch with hoseless connection. This will also give me a compass depending on the unit I decide to go with).

This for around $1,500.00 new.

I am also going to pick up a 7 mil wet suit. Haven't decided on which one of those yet.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated..

Thanks!

Reg - Atomic Z3 regulator

Why Z3? The Z2 is a much better deal and has the same parts and performance (except for the grossly overpriced proprietary second stage swivel). I'd get the Z2 with sealed first stage!

try diving a bpw if you haven't yet to see if you like it. also consider getting another 2nd stage instead of an integrated octo. veo 1 console is bulky, a spg and separate wrist compass/computer is a better option.

the atomic is a good reg but costs more to seal for cold water. dry sealed diaphragms like the apeks DST and hog/dive rite clones are cheaper and simpler in that respect.

tbone will probably comment in a bit for you to get a dss bpw, dive rite sm set, and deep blu cosmiq. that should fit in your 1500 dollar budget.

if serious wreck diving is in your future, maybe looking into a SM bc (xdeep/apeks) with the dive rite sm set, find a good sm instructor for a class, and start diving sidemount early.

your shop is obviously a huish dealer.... not that it's a bad thing, just a thing.

If you want to grow with the rig, then you are looking at the wrong stuff unfortunately. Wrecks implies technical diving, so we'll attack from that standpoint. Your LDS won't like me, because you won't be able to buy anything from them, but you'll be much better off if you want to actually grow with this gear.

Stiletto won't grow with you, the octo z reg deal is not allowed in any technical training so if you want to penetrate said wrecks, then write that off because those aren't allowed, and the stiletto itself is not something you can grow with.

Z3 isn't the best first stage for cold salt water, sealed diaphragms are infinitely better, and the swivel on the second stage means very expensive proprietary hose replacements.

Veo is a very basic computer that you can't grow into if you want to go into technical training.

Cold water diving means stainless backplate. Why? It will grow with you, and it will take typically 8lbs or so off of your weight belt while giving you the most durable rig on the market that will last a lifetime. Best one on the market is from Deep Sea Supply and is just under $500, so about $150 cheaper than the Stiletto

Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
best value in regulators right there, will have you ready for anything, and you can order one first stage in yoke for travel, and one in din while at home. Takes 2 minutes to swap the hoses over. Sealed diaphragm means it is good for ice diving and is much more tolerant of salt water vs a piston, doesn't have expensive lubricant sealing like the Atomics do, and you can DIY service if you want to save a bunch of money.
$700

Dive Rite NiTek Q Advanced Nitrox/Trimix Dive Computer (V2) | Dive Gear Express®
$400, full decompression computer, not a bad deal. Better option is to find a used Shearwater Petrel for around the same price, but you won't ever have to buy a new computer if you get this one, you just may want to. With the veo if you get into any sort of technical diving *NJ has some of the best wreck diving in the world btw, but deco is basically required*, then the veo is a paperweight.

If you are actually shore diving, you can DIY a nav slate for about $30 which is a much better navigation tool.

So we are about $100 more than what you have been quoted, but much better gear that you can actually grow into instead of what will be relegated to backup gear.

Waterproof W2 7mm Fullsuit
There's your 7mm drysuit, top of the line, and they should have one in stock in your size. May only be one, so don't dawdle on that.

Total is $1800 and that will last forever. To get into technical diving you will only need to change the wing out for a doubles wing, and buy the DIN kit to make both first stages DIN. If you go with the gear you listed above you'll need another first and second stage combo, a backplate and wing, and a new computer. Lots more money down the road

@runsongas hey, i recommended the doubles kit instead of the sidemount kit... Sidemount is definitely a better deal though, just requires a bit more to ask when you call but the extra SPG is definitely worth it if you are going to be using a pony bottle in the near future. I'm also not sure the Cosmiq is something that you'll be able to grow in yet. I'm still working with them to try to get at least 2 gasses in there. If we can get 2 gasses and at least moderate control of gradient factors, then it'll be brilliant. Until then, it's a good recreational computer.

Why Z3? The Z2 is a much better deal and has the same parts and performance (except for the grossly overpriced proprietary second stage swivel). I'd get the Z2 with sealed first stage!
That's what he suggested because it's what he has used for the past 10 years. I really don't need all the extra bling. Just something reliable.

try diving a bpw if you haven't yet to see if you like it. also consider getting another 2nd stage instead of an integrated octo. veo 1 console is bulky, a spg and separate wrist compass/computer is a better option.

the atomic is a good reg but costs more to seal for cold water. dry sealed diaphragms like the apeks DST and hog/dive rite clones are cheaper and simpler in that respect.

tbone will probably comment in a bit for you to get a dss bpw, dive rite sm set, and deep blu cosmiq. that should fit in your 1500 dollar budget.

if serious wreck diving is in your future, maybe looking into a SM bc (xdeep/apeks) with the dive rite sm set, find a good sm instructor for a class, and start diving sidemount early.

Thank you for the info. $1500 is just I was quoted for everything. I figured I'd switch some things around before pressing "pay".

Didn't even think about the seals.. THANKS!

I am seriously considering a separate wrist compass/computer.

Last edited:
your shop is obviously a huish dealer.... not that it's a bad thing, just a thing.

If you want to grow with the rig, then you are looking at the wrong stuff unfortunately. Wrecks implies technical diving, so we'll attack from that standpoint. Your LDS won't like me, because you won't be able to buy anything from them, but you'll be much better off if you want to actually grow with this gear.

Stiletto won't grow with you, the octo z reg deal is not allowed in any technical training so if you want to penetrate said wrecks, then write that off because those aren't allowed, and the stiletto itself is not something you can grow with.

Z3 isn't the best first stage for cold salt water, sealed diaphragms are infinitely better, and the swivel on the second stage means very expensive proprietary hose replacements.

Veo is a very basic computer that you can't grow into if you want to go into technical training.

Cold water diving means stainless backplate. Why? It will grow with you, and it will take typically 8lbs or so off of your weight belt while giving you the most durable rig on the market that will last a lifetime. Best one on the market is from Deep Sea Supply and is just under $500, so about $150 cheaper than the Stiletto

Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite XT Regulator Backmount Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
best value in regulators right there, will have you ready for anything, and you can order one first stage in yoke for travel, and one in din while at home. Takes 2 minutes to swap the hoses over. Sealed diaphragm means it is good for ice diving and is much more tolerant of salt water vs a piston, doesn't have expensive lubricant sealing like the Atomics do, and you can DIY service if you want to save a bunch of money.
$700

Dive Rite NiTek Q Advanced Nitrox/Trimix Dive Computer (V2) | Dive Gear Express®
$400, full decompression computer, not a bad deal. Better option is to find a used Shearwater Petrel for around the same price, but you won't ever have to buy a new computer if you get this one, you just may want to. With the veo if you get into any sort of technical diving *NJ has some of the best wreck diving in the world btw, but deco is basically required*, then the veo is a paperweight.

If you are actually shore diving, you can DIY a nav slate for about $30 which is a much better navigation tool.

So we are about $100 more than what you have been quoted, but much better gear that you can actually grow into instead of what will be relegated to backup gear.

Waterproof W2 7mm Fullsuit
There's your 7mm drysuit, top of the line, and they should have one in stock in your size. May only be one, so don't dawdle on that.

Total is $1800 and that will last forever. To get into technical diving you will only need to change the wing out for a doubles wing, and buy the DIN kit to make both first stages DIN. If you go with the gear you listed above you'll need another first and second stage combo, a backplate and wing, and a new computer. Lots more money down the road

@runsongas hey, i recommended the doubles kit instead of the sidemount kit... Sidemount is definitely a better deal though, just requires a bit more to ask when you call but the extra SPG is definitely worth it if you are going to be using a pony bottle in the near future. I'm also not sure the Cosmiq is something that you'll be able to grow in yet. I'm still working with them to try to get at least 2 gasses in there. If we can get 2 gasses and at least moderate control of gradient factors, then it'll be brilliant. Until then, it's a good recreational computer.

Excellent!! Thank you.
I did get the feeling that he knew I was willing to pay whatever I needed to in order to get going. I did feel the salesman in that encounter. This is why I decided to ask the opinion of many others.
Now time to swap out some items and get back at it..

Really appreciate the assistance from everyone.

P.S. Just ordered suit! They only had 2 left :)

Last edited:
There's your 7mm drysuit, top of the line, and they should have one in stock in your size

Great advice from bone. The w2 is not a dry suit though. It's wet. I have one and it is a great suit.

Great advice from bone. The w2 is not a dry suit though. It's wet. I have one and it is a great suit.
Thanks.. yep. 7 mil wet suit. That's what I want/need.. I just placed the order.

do you not believe I'm doing the diving that I say I'm doing? Do you disagree that an integrated octo is not a good option for technical diving? if you look at the very beginning I said I was making the assumption due to him saying he needs the gear to grow with him and he mentions wrecks that that includes technical penetration, and no, none of the gear he mentioned is gear that can grow with him into wreck penetration.

If you disagree so vehemently, what do you suggest he buys then that will actually grow with him? I'm curious to see what you think he should get.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom