Shore Dive, Port Hope, Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone done a shore dive at the end of Lake Street, & Waterfront trail in Port Hope, Ontario?

Google Maps

If so what's bottom, depth, anything of interest?
Thinking of doing an easy get the kinks out dive 1st week end in May.

Mike D

Doing some research this site is contaminated with radioactive waste from Cameco (nuclear processing plant) which is due west of the beach area.

Radioactive Waste Cleanup in Port Hope, Ontario

Now looking at alternate Shore site at New Castle (ref 401 & 115)

Google Maps

Last edited:
I have not been to either site but I have been using the Navionics web-app for checking out prospective dive sites. Google-map type of map for boaters but it has depths which is nice. Switch to SonarCharts from the button on the bottom left for a little more detail.

Port Hope site: Navionics Webapp
Newcastle: Navionics Webapp

Both sites look similar in depth, it takes roughly a 140m walk/swim from shore to get to water as deep as 1m. Of course that assumes I'm reading these right, I may very well be misinterpreting the maps.

If you go and find anything from shore worth diving let me know! I'm only in the area when traveling to Toronto but wouldn't mind making a stop to dive one of these days.

Thanks for the Navionics link Pinecube. Very helpful.
As a reference I see the (wreck) PB Locke is marked at the Port Hope area.
Sounding indicates 22 meters, I recall that dive is 80ft so soundings are little low.

SOS info: P. B. Locke | Save Ontario Shipwrecks

Yeah, part of me was wondering why there would be a nice sandy beach with a trail down to it but only a foot of water to swim in. It's possible that they gathered their depth info at the end of the season when the water level gets low, I've seen the water level rise and fall at almost 2m (Hill Island area) over the course of the season.

P.S. If you see any 3-eyed fish in the nuclear water, take a picture! I've always wanted to see one :)

We've decided to definitely NOT DIVE at Port Hope.
We're going to try either New Castle or possibly the Juno, at Bomanville.

Well looks like parking is an issue at Juno site, Street is labelled not stopping.
Looking at Crow River, Marmora, just off # 7 hwy. now.

Google Maps

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom