Shore diving - solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be in George Town for a day as part of a cruise. The times make it difficult to get in a boat dive unless I use an operator catering mainly to cruise passengers (not ideal).

I would like to do some shore diving instead, however, none of the family members I'm traveling with are divers. At home, I typically dive solo. While shore diving in George Town, I would prefer to avoid the expense and scheduling complexities inherent in a guided dive.

I understand that solo diving is discouraged by some local quasi-governmental body; some claim this rule has the force of law.

Does anyone have any experience with the extent to which this is enforced by the various dive shops in George Town that cater to shore divers?

There has been discussion about this topic in the past. My understanding is that the tourism and watersports authorities strongly recommend buddy pairs for diving and that most dive ops follow that recommendation, but it is not a law. See the link below for more information.

Sunset House Singles Special

Thank you, Kathy, I had seen the Sunset House thread.

If you are shore diving at any of the established shore dive ops (Eden Rock, Sunset House, Macabuca, etc.) you will not be allowed to enter the water alone. However, it is easy enough to pick up a buddy pair during the daytime.

If you are shore diving at any of the unsupervised locations then, of course, there is no one around to tell you not to go solo.

...If you are shore diving at any of the unsupervised locations then, of course, there is no one around to tell you not to go solo.

But they may not agree to rent you tanks if you are solo.

I suppose you would rent them at Divers Supply, although they might (?) refuse also.

Don't get me wrong: I am not advocating that cruise passengers who are only here for a day should attempt to dive solo from some location where no one can see them entering the water.

Doesn't sound like a good plan. I am assuming you have not been to any of the sites before that you are considering solo diving and are unfamiliar with the island. Diving your first solo dive at a new site on an unfamiliar island on a tight schedule is not good plan.

I think a better option is to find a small dive op within walking distance of your ship or who will pick you up for a boat dive that has a compatible schedule. It may not be "ideal" (as it may be one that caters to cruise ship) but hey you are diving from a cruise ship which makes you de facto a cruise ship diver.

I suppose you would rent them at Divers Supply, although they might (?) refuse also.

Not the sort of thing I had in mind.

Don't get me wrong: I am not advocating that cruise passengers who are only here for a day should attempt to dive solo from some location where no one can see them entering the water.

Last Saturday, I was diving the wreck of the Madeira on Lake Superior. Water temperature was 48 F. (9 C.). Run time for this multilevel computer dive was 61 minutes with a maximum depth of 69 feet. I was diving twin 100s with an isolation manifold. I was solo. No one saw me enter the water. No one saw me in the water. No one saw me leave the water. I had my dive plan and exit time on file with a trusted person, who I notified immediately upon the successful conclusion of the dive.

Now explain to me please what the mode of my arrival or duration of my stay has to do with anything.

Doesn't sound like a good plan. I am assuming you have not been to any of the sites before that you are considering solo diving and are unfamiliar with the island. Diving your first solo dive at a new site on an unfamiliar island on a tight schedule is not good plan.

Thank you for your concern. Is there something unusual, difficult, or dangerous about the dives on this island, or are you applying what you see as general planning principles for solo dives? Would you feel the same way if I brought a dive buddy who is similarly unfamiliar with the specifics of these dives?

I think a better option is to find a small dive op within walking distance of your ship or who will pick you up for a boat dive that has a compatible schedule. It may not be "ideal" (as it may be one that caters to cruise ship) but hey you are diving from a cruise ship which makes you de facto a cruise ship diver.

I have contacted several of the better dive ops on the island and have been unable to find an operator who is able to work within the schedule limitations of our time in port. Our trip is during the high season and the operators are reluctant to run mid-day trips since they can otherwise typically run both a morning and an afternoon trip. If there is an op you'd like to suggest, I'm all ears. I am broadly unwilling to use a "cruise-centric" operator in this port because I believe that I would probably, overall, have a better time snorkeling.

Nope, nothing unusual about the island per se. Just basic dive and solo dive principles in particular.

On suggestions though, let me know your window of time. When you will on shore and when you have to be back. Who are the ops who are schedule compatible that are "cruise-centric"? I'll see what I can suggest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom