Should I buy a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't that put wear on the spring?

I think the slight compression of the spring(s) to take pressure off the soft seat is a non-issue as far as wear goes.

I think that over-loading a spring is what will wear it out or damage it, but slight static compression (loading) well within its normal operating "range" is no problem.

Best wishes.

You've got yourself a ton of great replies here :)

One thing I'll add though, if you are looking to pick up a reg, and for some reason have an aversion to scubapro (dont know why you would, they make awesome gear!) Mares makes some great regs that have seals which only need replacing every 2 years, so if you store them properly, you could probably get one to last 3 times that versus regular seals which are meant to be serviced once a year.

Hope it helps :)

IMO:
Reg first. SCUBA is entirely dependent on that one piece of equipment. First thing I bought.

I think you want to know the history of your underwater breathing apparatus. Know that it is in working order. Know that no one has vomited through it recently and you won't be spitting little chunks, etc.

Selection of reg is objective. You can read reports about the breather you want for the price you can afford.

Computers are great, but you do have one between your shoulders.

BC's are very personal and their selection is very subjective. For a rec diver they are more a convenience than a necessity however. While you would do well to get dialed into one early on, why not find out which one suits you best first. Rent and borrow until you see what you like. Then get dialed in.

Wetsuits, yeah. While you can rent them, you might get one early on. But after the reg.:)

There's a spring that pushes the diaphragm/purge button back. But I accept that pressing on it is within the normal range of the spring and it should not wear as fast the valve seat.

Adam

Most of my 2nd stages don't have a spring that keeps the purge button out. My D series and the 109s have soft purge covers. I don't bother with the D series, they have a very light valve spring and a big orifice, so there's very little imprinting on the seat.

When you slightly depress the purge, you are very slightly compressing the valve spring, but it's not enough to worry about. That's what I was thinking you might have been referring to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom