Should I take the Rescue class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I only dive recreationally and have no desire to go pro. Is Rescue something I should do or just stay as AOW?"

I commend you for wanting to take the rescue course. I wanted to take it too for the same reason. But every dive shop I went to asked me if I was pursuing a career. When I told them no, that I just wanted to further my skills and be a better and potentially safer diver they gave me the brush off. They were always either filled up or didn't have enough people signed up to schedule a class and would get right back to me as soon as there was on opening or a class scheduled. I even had an up to date Red Cross certification through work at the time.
After going to a handfull of local dive shops and never hearing back from any of them I came to the conclusion they were mainly interested in training future instructors. I even considered telling the next shop a big fat lie that I wanted to pursue being a sales..., er um I mean instructor, but instead I just gave up.
Hopefully you will have a different experience than I did. If I had to do it again I would lie right from the begining and tell them I want to pursue a career as an instructor. I would probably get a spot in the very next class.

Fossil, Wow that's hard to believe considering where you live. Our shop here (and there's basically one) was more than happy to enrol me, and at the time I had no further "career" plans. Maybe you can get it done elsewhere down there. The course I took was a Tues. through Sat. thing, mostly either afternoons or nights, I think. 5 days.

IMO Rescue is the best class going. Take it. I learned to dive using the New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving back in the 1970s. I was never a fan of the PADI modular courses, which I thought were too light on theory and explanations behind the skills. Rescue is where modern, modular type courses finally gets serious, and starts treating the participant as a situationally aware, sentient being. It should be part of every diver's required education.

I found it pretty hard to believe myself. But this is a major tourist area. They probably need as many instructors as they can get to keep up with the demand for OW and AOW classes and just don't want to waste time training people like me. That is the only reason that makes any sense to me.

Maybe the class I had in '76 was a little deeper than classes today. We covered search and recovery, some rescue, etc.
I had been diving with dad under very close supervision since I was 10. When I turned 18 dad and the instructor said I needed my own certification. The instructor was giving a class, for free, to a volunteer fire dept. that covered a local lake so they would stop calling us for recovery of drowning victims.
Since I was experienced I was the test dummy demonstrating the skills as he explained them. The class was about 3 weeks in the evenings and around 8 or 10 dives including pool and lake dives.
When we finished the instructor said he was giving the others in the class the basic PADI cert but he was giving me the next step Open Water cert. Now PADI considers the OW as the basic cert. Most of what I did in my NAUI AOW course was covered in my original course.
The rescue part we did in '76 was probably not as involved as Rescue is today, but we did cover bringing an unconscious diver up, giving rescue breaths in the water, etc.
I don't have a current CPR or First Aid card but have continuing training in them.

I was telling an instructor the other day that I view teaching this class more or less as a public service. I still have to cover my expenses as much as possible but that's about all I do.

This is awesome! Kudos to you. The world needs more people like this.

At 53, I consider myself a "learning diver" and just recently got the Rescue Certification, first to learn how to "self rescue" and second because if someone did need help, I wouldn't want to make things worse doing the wrong thing. the required CPR, first aid and O2 provider have overlap for land preparedness as well.

Absolutely take the course. Probably one of the most rewarding and useful diving courses you can take.

Is Rescue something I should do or just stay as AOW

I have been rescued: I was a new diver when I experienced a free flow at 100ft. A more experienced diver was able to help. I would recommend a rescue diver course (or equivalent) to any diver. CPR and O2 and AED would be good skills too as they are generally applicable beyond diving. And hey, these courses are fun!

You could read some excellent books such as the thorough NAUI rescue diver manual or the entertaining (sorry) and enlightening book "Diver down", but rescue really is a practical skill and a training course is recommended.

Last edited:
My first impulse is to try to help (...) If I do take rescue I want to be sure I can actually help someone

You will try to help in any case. Better do it with skill and avoid a double fatality.

In the water we are weightless. You can always be the first line of help and bring your buddy to the surface (a much appreciated thing). A younger and fitter diver can then take care of the 3000 ft surface swim against the current, ok? Would I prefer to be rescued by a 70 year old with skill, or a 20 year old who transports me face under water (which has happened to someone; read the book)? You know the answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom