Should You Pick Up That Seashell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkeling in St. John's, USVI in 1999--long before I was a diver (off cruise, week before the year 2000), at dive's end in 8' of water I looked down and spotted a live adult Queen Conch. Upon boarding the Capt. said to his mate "Hey, that guy doesn't have a live Queen Conch, does he?" "Don't think so". "Well if he did, he really should stuff it below that chair over there in case we get inspected". "Yeah, that would be the best idea, IF he has one". My kinda crew. Hell, I had no idea any shell collecting was forbidden anywhere--and that was 1999, not 1979. Nor did I really have any clue when OW certified in 2005. My OW instructor back then (who I later DMd for) asked the class why diving? I said "Easy, to collect shells for real".

I boiled that sucker on the balcony of the cruise ship, which may have spewed certain odors outside. Today, 17 years later, I still admire it in the collection.

Last edited:
Chitons are said to taste like abelone, only a bit more tender. I was told they are popular in Phillipines and some areas of the Caribbean. Cheers

You are a fundamental plant parasite, so no real "boost" for you from claiming to eat only plants. No intended "dis" either, just keeping it real. We all need to steal another life-form's assembled nutrients to survive. That is just how it works, no value judgment.

I've seen a lot of local shell collectors here in my own backyard. Bottom draggers. Strongly suggest you see what they leave behind before you chastise someone for picking up a shell.

Hey Lowviz, You were responding to my post with your comments above. Not sure why you saw a chastisement from me or thought that I was claiming anything other than my personal reasoning as to why I don't collect shells. I didn't go into why I'm a vegetarian either so I'm not sure why you mentioned there's no real "boost for me from claiming to eat only plants."

My entire post was: "My perspective is probably a bit different than most. I love shells. I'm also a vegetarian so it's not just conservation that prohibits me from collecting anything live whether it's an at risk species or not. No judgment of you...this is just why I personally won't catch/collect anything living whether it's in a shell or not."

???

My perspective is probably a bit different too. I love to look at shells too, no interest in collecting them, but they can be most amazing to look at.

Vegetarian. Plants are a truly amazing life-form. They don't need much of anything more than sunlight, carbon dioxide, water, and a bit of minerals. Given that, they will thrive and clean up our mess on this planet. You are a fundamental plant parasite, so no real "boost" for you from claiming to eat only plants. No intended "dis" either, just keeping it real. We all need to steal another life-form's assembled nutrients to survive. That is just how it works, no value judgment.

I've seen a lot of local shell collectors here in my own backyard. Bottom draggers. Strongly suggest you see what they leave behind before you chastise someone for picking up a shell.

I don't see any chastising in her post - what are you referring to? I am quite confused.

uncfnp, Did they change that law about taking empty Queen Conch shells in FL? Maybe it was just word of mouth a few years ago I heard even empty ones were taboo.

vincent54, Chitons!!?? Who would eat THAT.? So ugly I probably wouldn't even collect one if I saw it.

LetterBoy, Taking a small shell is fine in my book. But small shell-big shell: the difference? There have been some on SB years ago (and elsewhere on the internet) who proclaim that taking broken dead shells from any beach disturbs the environment (due to whatever the shells decompose into, etc.). So, you have broken that rule. Right on!
If that's the worst rule I have broken, I think I am good.

Funny, I bet the people who bitch about picking up shells do so while driving their gas guzzling car to and from the protests and are online using electronics that the manufacturing and disposal of is horrid for the environment after going out for a boat dive where they bicycle kick the reef to hell and back kicking sand all over the coral. And I bet they use toxic horrid sunscreen too!

Hey Lowviz, You were responding to my post with your comments above. Not sure why you saw a chastisement from me or thought that I was claiming anything other than my personal reasoning as to why I don't collect shells. I didn't go into why I'm a vegetarian either so I'm not sure why you mentioned there's no real "boost for me from claiming to eat only plants."...//...
Yes, your point is taken. I owe you an apology. I apologize.

Timing was bad for me, recently got "read-off" by a militant vegetarian. I shot from the hip, saw things in your post that obviously weren't there at all. Enjoy your veggies.

Yes, your point is taken. I owe you an apology. I apologize.

Timing was bad for me, recently got "read-off" by a militant vegetarian. I shot from the hip, saw things in your post that obviously weren't there at all. Enjoy your veggies.

No worries, Lowviz. I appreciate the apology. I've seen a lot of militant vegetarians and vegans out there and they often give people like me a bad rep just by association. My favorite quote is from a vegan who freaked out when she saw I was eating honey and literally screamed at me: "you should know better than to help the masters enslave the bees!!" :eek:

Masters enslave the bees? Amazing. Most of the bees are slaves for the Queen already.

I love collecting shells, but I won't collect live ones unless I'm going to eat them. Some of them lose their uniqueness when they die, like the Flamingo Tongue. I would rather take a picture of a beauty than kill it. I don't judge those who do differently than I do, but I won't even take a shell with even a hermit crab in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom